A Clever Bag with a Removable Pouch
This purse makes changing bags a breeze.
What You'll Need
- 1/2 yard green print (bag)
- 6-x-24-inch piece stable synthetic leather (bag sides, strap)
- 1/3 yard light green print (lining)
- 1/3 yard fusible interfacing
- 1/3 yard clear, heavyweight vinyl (liner)
- 2 brad rings
- Magnetic snap closure
- Polyester thread
- 7 1/2 x 11 x 4 1/4 inches
- Quantities are for 44/45-inch-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
- Measurements include 1/4-inch seam allowances.
- Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut Your Fabrics
Cut pieces in the following order.
From green print, cut: 2 10-1/2-x-13-1/2-inch rectangles 2 2-inch-diameter circles
From synthetic leather, cut: 1 2-1/2-x-24-inch strip (or desired length for strap) 2 1-1/2-x-20-1/2-inch strips
From light green print, cut: 2 10-1/2-x-15-1/2-inch lining rectangles
From fusible interfacing, cut: 2 10-1/2-x-15-1/2-inch rectangles
From clean, heavyweight vinyl, cut: 2 10-x-16-inch rectangles
- Sew together long edges of green print rectangles to make 13-1/2-x-20-1/2-inch bag rectangle. Press seam open.
- Join synthetic leather 1-1/2-x-20-1/2-inch strips to opposite edges of bag rectangle. Finger-press each seam toward fabric center; topstitch 1/8 inch from seam (Diagram 1).
Fold bag rectangle in half on seam line; sew together side edges (Diagram 2). Finger-press seams open.
- To shape flat bottom for bag, at one corner match bottom seam line to side seam line, creating a flattened triangle (Diagram 3). Measuring 2 1/8 inches from point of triangle, draw a 4-1/4-inch-long line across triangle. Sew on drawn line. Trim excess fabric. Repeat with remaining bottom corner to make bag body. Turn bag body right side out and finger-press.
- Following manufacturer's instructions, fuse 10-1/2-x-15-1/2-inch interfacing rectangle to wrong side of each light green print 10-1/2-x-15-1/2-inch lining rectangle. The interfacing gives the fabric more body and helps the bag retain its shape.
Secure Brad Ring
Center brad ring on bag synthetic leather strip, 3/8 inch from bag top edge (Diagram 4). Trace inner hole of ring on synthetic leather strip. Cut away marked hole, cutting through synthetic leather and lining at same time (use a seam ripper to make a small cut through all layers to start hole). Following manufacturer's directions, secure a brad ring to side edge of bag. Repeat to secure ring to opposite side edge.
Fold one long edge of synthetic leather 2-1/2-x-24-inch strip under 1 inch (Diagram 5). Finger-press under 1/2 inch along remaining long edge. Topstitch 1/4 inch from folded edges to make bag strap.
Insert one end of strap through brad ring and fold back 1 inch to underside of strap. Sew through all layers to secure strap (Diagram 6). Repeat with remaining strap end and brad ring.
Add Magnetic Closure
Turn under edge of green print 2-inch-diameter circle; baste. Blanket-stitch fabric circle to center top of light green print lining, 1/4 inch from edge, leaving a 1-inch opening at top. Insert one half of magnetic snap closure into fabric circle pocket; blanket-stitch circle closed. Repeat with remaining green print circle and other half of closure on opposite side of lining.
Assemble Removable Pouch
- Sew together the clear vinyl 10-x-16-inch rectangles, along a pair of long edges to make a 10-x-12-inch rectangle.
- Fold rectangle in half on seam line; sew together side edges.