Bird feeding -- one of America's favorite pasttimes -- is as easy as hanging up a feeder and keeping it stocked year-round. But you don't even need a feeder to furnish sustenance for birds. Here's a creative and fun project for those who live in a snowy climate.
1. Shape a seed-laden snow-cake in your yard and watch the feathered ones flock to it. Simply pack snow into graduated-size pans.
2. Unmold and stack the snow cake layers on a plate of plywood.
3. Decorate the frosty cake with millet seeds, black sunflower seeds, and cracked corn as well as candles (for dinner by candlelight).
4. Squirrels will join ground-feeding birds such as sparrows, juncos, and cardinals in feasting on the seed du jour.
5. If you live in a warm climate, just sprinkle the feed on a plywood plate (to protect it from ground moisture).