1. Draw a 10 x 11-1/2-inch rectangle on card stock; cut out for a pattern. Fold the rectangle in half crosswise to mark the center, then open the rectangle. Find the center on one short end of the rug (this is the bottom edge).
2. Center the rectangle 3-1/2 inches from the center bottom of the rug. With the permanent marking pen, draw around the shape.
3. Add the rest of the rectangles to the rug, referring to the photo at left for placement.
4. Place a number stencil in the center of each rectangle; outline the number with the marking pen. Remove the stencil, then paint the number with red acrylic paint. Repeat for all numbers.
5. Cut and glue pieces of bias tape around the rectangles, covering the lines you drew.
6. Glue the checked ribbon to the front of the rug on all four edges. Add rickrack to the wrong side, letting half of the rickrack peek over the edge.
Note: If your rug does not come with a rubber backing, purchase skidproofing material and apply it to the rug, following the manufacturer's directions.