Scrap of solid gray fabric
Embroidery floss: light silver, red, green
7/8"-diameter covered button
Water- or heat-soluble marking pen
Assemble the Button:
1. Trace pattern onto white paper. Using a light box or a sunny window, trace the pattern onto right side of fabric using a water- or heat-soluble marking pen. Place fabric in a small embroidery hoop.
2. To make each mushroom cap spot, stitch a double-wrapped French knot using three strands of light silver floss. Use three strands of red floss to backstitch mushroom cap outline. Satin-stitch mushroom cap using three strands of red floss, filling it with vertical stitches that extend from top to bottom within the outline. As you stitch, lay the strands of floss to the sides of the French knots so spots remain uncovered.
3. Use three strands of light silver floss to backstitch stem outline. Satin-stitch stem with horizontal stitches that extend from side to side within the outline.
4. Use three strands of green floss to blanket-stitch grass.
5. Refer to "M.I.Y. Covered Buttons," to cut out and assemble covered button