Two linen hand towels
Rickrack: 1"-wide orange, 1/4"-wide orange, 1/2"-wide teal
3/4"-wide twill tape: teal
Sewing thread: teal and orange
18" square of teal wool
Stylus or dried-up ballpoint pen
Perle cotton: Valdani size 12 #0/244 (variegated orange), Valdani size 12 #0/550 (variegated teal), andDMC size 5 Ecru
Square frame with 1-1/2"-square opening
1. Measure width of towel and cut rickrack and twill tape 1/2" longer than measurement. Referring to the photo for placement, hand-sew rickrack and twill tape to the hemmed edge of the towel using matching sewing thread and tiny tack stitches. Tuck under the rickrack raw ends and stitch in place.
2. Use a light box or sunny window to trace whisk and cutlery patterns onto hand towels using a sharp pencil. Position the whisk approximately 1/2" above the rickrack and the cutlery 1-1/2" above the rickrack. For the framed piece, trace the pattern. Lay a piece of transfer paper onto teal wool. Lay mixing bowl and mixer pattern on top of transfer paper in desired location. Using a stylus or dried-up ballpoint pen, carefully and firmly trace over design lines to transfer design onto wool.
3. Place towel or wool in embroidery hoop. Referring to color key on patterns for thread colors and stitches, embroider the designs.
4. Remove embroidery from hoop. Using a warm iron, press finished embroidery.
5. For the framed piece, hand-stitch 1/4"-wide orange rickrack to the mixer as shown in the photo using matching sewing thread and tiny tack stitches. Tuck under the raw ends before securing. Insert embroidery into frame.