continue reading below
- Cut a circular piece of plywood to fit inside the lid of the largest tin to form a sturdy base.
- Using a compass, find the center of each tin, the lid, and the plywood piece. Drill holes into the centers of all the pieces large enough to fit the threaded rod.
- Put the plywood into the tin lid and place it onto the threaded rod, securing it with a washer and nut on the bottom.
- Thread on a nut a few inches above from the base and add the largest tin. Repeat for the two other tins.
- Adjust the heights of the tins to accommodate easy access to their contents. Mark the threaded rod inside the top tin, allowing an extra 3/4 inch for a washer and nut. Cut the threaded rod to this measurement with a hacksaw. File any sharp edges.
- Measure the distances between the tins to determine the lengths for the copper pipe. Using a pipe cutter, cut the copper pipe into sections using these measurements.
- Disassemble the stand, place the sections of copper pipe over the exposed threaded rod, and reassemble the stand.