1. Carefully cut cloth from book with crafts knife. Cut spine loose from cover. Remove cardboard reinforcement if applicable. Trim spine as desired into a narrow strip that will fit on cuff.
2. Cut one 2-3⁄4×6-3⁄4" strip from patterned fabric and one from felt. Cut two 2-3⁄4×6-3⁄4" strips from medium-weight fusible interfacing. Following manufacturer's instructions, fuse interfacing to backs of patterned fabric and felt strips.
3. Sew strips together with right sides facing and 1⁄4" seam allowances, leaving one short end open. Clip corners and turn right side out. Turn raw edges under 1⁄4" and press edges.
4. Insert metal cuff into fabric through opening. Slip-stitch the opening closed.
5. Temporarily attach book spine to cuff with glue stick. Use a curved needle to stitch spine to cuff using embroidery floss and stitches of your choice (cuffs shown use blanket stitches, running stitches, and French knots).