- Makes: 28 servings
- Prep: 35 mins
- Stand: 30 mins
- Bake: 20 mins 350°F
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 4 ounces sweet baking chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons green or white creme de menthe*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 recipe Grasshopper Frosting
- Milk chocolate kisses
- Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan combine milk and chocolate. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until chocolate is melted; cool.
- Grease and flour twenty-eight 2-1/2-inch muffin cups (or line with paper bake cups). In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time, beating on medium speed until combined. Scrape sides of bowl; beat for 2 minutes more or until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in creme de menthe and vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and chocolate mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Beat on medium to high speed for 20 seconds more.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about three-fourths full. Use the back of a spoon to smooth out batter in cups.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool cupcakes in muffin cups on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from muffin cups. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Pipe or spread Grasshopper Frosting onto tops of cupcakes. Top each with a milk chocolate kiss. Makes 28 (2-1/2 inch) cupcakes.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test Kitchen Tip:
If using white creme de menthe, add 1 or 2 drops green food coloring.
- In a 1-cup glass measuring cup combine the cold water and gelatin. Let stand for 2 minutes. Place measuring cup in a saucepan of boiling water. Cook and stir about 1 minute or until gelatin is completely dissolved. In a large mixing bowl combine whipping cream, sugar, and creme de menthe. Drizzle the warm gelatin mixture over cream mixture while beating constantly with an electric mixer on medium speed. Continue beating on medium to high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
Nutrition Facts (Grasshopper Cupcakes)
- Per serving:
- 258 kcal ,
- 15 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 61 mg chol. ,
- 154 mg sodium ,
- 27 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 19 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.
Cooking with Beer
Incorporate your favorite brew into these flavorful recipes. The rich taste of beer intensifies during cooking and...
How to Make Irish Soda Bread
Celebrate St. Patrick's Day by savoring a warm piece of Irish Soda Bread straight out of the oven. Here's our yummi...
Easy Buffet Party Idea: Baked Potato Bar
A serve-yourself potato bar is the easiest buffet party to throw. It's affordable, quick to assemble, and your part...
How to Pair Beer and Food
Game-day gatherings, backyard BBQs, and casual parties of all kinds demand good beer and good food. Get to know bee...
Celebrate St. Patrick's Day with these fresh takes on traditional Irish recipes, including shepherd's pie, corned b...
St. Patrick's Day Craft Ideas
Celebrate the spirit of St. Patrick's Day by making creative crafts with your kids! They'll love putting on a lepre...
How to Wear Green for St. Patrick's Day
Americans often wear green on March 17 in honor of St. Patrick's Day. Don't have any green shirts in your closet? C...
St. Patrick's Day Ideas
This March 17, celebrate all St. Patrick's Day has to offer with our fun St. Patrick's Day ideas. We've complied a...