Triple-Layer Lemon Cake
- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 35 mins
- Bake: 25 mins 350°F
- Cool: 1 hr
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 1/2 recipe Lemon Curd (see Recipe Center) or 1 cup purchased lemon curd
- 1 recipe Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting (see recipe below)
- Lemon peel curls (optional)
- Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease and lightly flour three 9 x 1-1/2-inch round cake pans. Combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, lemon peel, and lemon juice; beat until well combined. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each. Add flour mixture and buttermilk or sour milk alternately to beaten mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans. Cool thoroughly on wire racks.
- To assemble, place a cake layer on a cake plate. Spread with half of the Lemon Curd. Top with second layer; spread with the remaining Lemon Curd. Top with third layer. Frost top and sides with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting. Cover and store cake in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving. If desired, garnish with lemon peel curls. Makes 12 servings.
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Finely shred lemon peel; set aside. In a medium mixing bowl combine cream cheese, butter, and 1 lemon juice; beat with electric mixer on low to medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add 2 cups sifted powdered sugar, beating well. Gradually beat in 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 cups additional powdered sugar until spreading consistency. Stir in the lemon peel.
Nutrition Facts (Triple-Layer Lemon Cake)
- Per serving:
- 730 kcal ,
- 36 g fat
- (22 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 11 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 199 mg chol. ,
- 536 mg sodium ,
- 96 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 73 g sugar ,
- 8 g pro.
Our Best Spring Desserts
Spring is all about sweets. Including moist cupcakes accented with rosemary and decadent blueberry cheesecake bars,...
Carrot Cake Recipes
Carrot cake is moist, tender, and bursting with sweet and spicy flavors. Here we offer our favorite classic carrot...
Our Best Berry-Filled Desserts
These luscious dessert recipes are bursting with blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries. The deli...
Elegant and Easy Cake Recipes
Making a gorgeous dessert for your next get-together is, well, a piece of cake! We've picked our favorite easy cake...
Spring Cakes and Cupcakes
Say hello to spring with these adorable dessert recipes. We've chosen our cutest cake and cupcake recipes for you t...
Chocolate: Our Greatest Hits
Rich and luxurious, dark and intoxicating, chocolate adds decadent flavor to delicious desserts. We've compiled our...
Fabulous French Desserts
Want to wow your guests with sophisticated and exquisite French desserts? From lavish pastries to airy souffles, we...
Scrumptious Italian Desserts
Touting creamy gelato and richly delicious cakes, Italy produces some of the world's most beloved desserts. Crafted...