- Makes: 22 servings
- Prep: 45 mins
- Bake: 15 mins 350°F
- Cool: 45 mins
- 1 2-layer-size package white cake mix
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ounce semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1/4 cup strawberry preserves
- Red food coloring
- 1 recipe Ice Cream Frosting
- Desired sprinkles, such as jimmies
- Line twenty-two to twenty-six 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups*; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Divide cake batter evenly among three bowls. Stir vanilla into batter in one bowl. Stir cocoa powder and melted chocolate into batter in second bowl. Stir in strawberry preserves and enough red food coloring to turn batter in third bowl pink.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of the strawberry batter into the bottom of each prepared muffin cup. Add 1 tablespoon chocolate batter to each muffin cup. Top each muffin cup with 1 tablespoon vanilla batter. (Cups will be one-half to two-thirds full.)
- Bake about 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in muffin cups on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from muffin cups. Cool completely.
- Tint half of the Ice Cream Frosting pink with red food coloring. Spoon pink and white frostings side by side into a pastry bag fitted with a star tip. Pipe frosting over cupcakes to look like soft-serve ice cream; decorate as desired. Chill until ready to serve. Makes 22 to 26 (2-1/2-inch) cupcakes.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test Kitchen Tip:
To make cupcake cones, wrap the bases of 24 to 30 flat-bottom ice cream cones in foil. Place one cone in each cup of a muffin pan. If necessary, press foil into cups around the cones to secure in place. Layer batter in cones as directed above, using about 3 tablespoons batter total (no more than half full); let batter settle in cones. (Before filling all cones, bake one to double-check batter amounts.) Bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees F or until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool completely. Frost as directed.
Ice Cream Frosting
- Allow cream cheese and butter to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. If using, allow ice cream to stand at room temperature for 10 minutes. In a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Gradually beat in powdered sugar. Beat in ice cream, if using, or whipping cream to reach piping consistency. Chill until ready to use.
Nutrition Facts (Neapolitan Cupcakes )
- Per serving:
- 322 kcal ,
- 11 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 43 mg chol. ,
- 210 mg sodium ,
- 54 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 44 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.
Our Best Spring Desserts
Spring is all about sweets. Including moist cupcakes accented with rosemary and decadent blueberry cheesecake bars,...
Carrot Cake Recipes
Carrot cake is moist, tender, and bursting with sweet and spicy flavors. Here we offer our favorite classic carrot...
Our Best Berry-Filled Desserts
These luscious dessert recipes are bursting with blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries. The deli...
Elegant and Easy Cake Recipes
Making a gorgeous dessert for your next get-together is, well, a piece of cake! We've picked our favorite easy cake...
Spring Cakes and Cupcakes
Say hello to spring with these adorable dessert recipes. We've chosen our cutest cake and cupcake recipes for you t...
Chocolate: Our Greatest Hits
Rich and luxurious, dark and intoxicating, chocolate adds decadent flavor to delicious desserts. We've compiled our...
Fabulous French Desserts
Want to wow your guests with sophisticated and exquisite French desserts? From lavish pastries to airy souffles, we...
Scrumptious Italian Desserts
Touting creamy gelato and richly delicious cakes, Italy produces some of the world's most beloved desserts. Crafted...