Roasted Pumpkin Guacamole
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 5 mins
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup pie pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 avocados
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 fresh red jalapeno chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped*
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seed, toasted and ground
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees . In a medium ovenproof skillet heat half the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add cubed pumpkin, season with a pinch of the salt, and cook about 5 minutes, until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Transfer skillet to oven. Roast pumpkin 5 minutes, just until tender. Remove from oven. Cool to room temperature.
- Halve avocados; remove pits, leaving skin intact. Cup on half at a time in palm, score flesh with paring knife in a grid. Spoon avocado flesh into medium-size bowl. Add onion, lime juice, jalapeno, cilantro, pumpkin seeds, cumin seed, remaining olive oil, remaining salt, pepper, and roasted pumpkin. Stir together; if desired, mash guacamole with fork, Serve immediately.
From the Test Kitchen
Because hot chile peppers, such as jalapenos, contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with chiles as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the chile peppers, wash your hands well with soap and water.
Nutrition Facts (Roasted Pumpkin Guacamole)
- Per serving:
- 122 kcal ,
- 10 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 250 mg sodium ,
- 6 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 1 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.
Pumpkin Pie Recipes
From traditional pumpkin pie recipes to elegant and creative variations (such as pumpkin pie pudding, cheesecake, a...
Think outside the box when it's time for pumpkin recipes! Sure, there's pumpkin pie—but pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin...
How to Make Pumpkin Pie from a Pumpkin
Pick up a pumpkin or two and make an amazing homemade pumpkin pie. You will love the fresh, full flavor of baking w...
Savory Pumpkin Recipes
These savory pumpkin recipes deserve just as much room on your holiday menu as pumpkin dessert recipes. In these di...
Luscious Pumpkin Desserts
With classic pumpkin desserts like pumpkin pie and new favorites like pumpkin bread pudding and pumpkin cupcakes, o...
Warm and Cozy Fall Desserts
If you ask us, our best fall desserts are always in season. But these served-warm treats—boasting pumpkin, chocolat...