Butternut Squash and Carrot Soup
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 25 mins
- 3 cups peeled, diced butternut squash (about 1 small squash)
- 2 cups thinly sliced carrots (4 medium)
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced leek or chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 2 14 1/2 ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup half-and-half or light cream
- Creme fraiche or dairy sour cream (optional)
- Toasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas) (optional)
- Fresh tarragon sprigs (optional)
- In a large covered saucepan cook squash, carrots, and leek in hot butter over medium heat about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 25 to 35 minutes or until vegetables are very tender. Cool slightly.
- Place one-third of the squash mixture in a food processor or blender. Cover and process or blend until almost smooth. Repeat with remaining squash mixture. Return all of the mixture to saucepan. Add white pepper and nutmeg; bring just to boiling. Add half-and-half; heat through. If desired, garnish each serving with creme fraiche, pumpkin seeds, and/or fresh tarragon.
Nutrition Facts (Butternut Squash and Carrot Soup)
- Per serving:
- 82 kcal ,
- 3 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 9 mg chol. ,
- 364 mg sodium ,
- 12 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.
Pumpkin Pie Recipes
From traditional pumpkin pie recipes to elegant and creative variations (such as pumpkin pie pudding, cheesecake, a...
Think outside the box when it's time for pumpkin recipes! Sure, there's pumpkin pie—but pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin...
How to Make Pumpkin Pie from a Pumpkin
Pick up a pumpkin or two and make an amazing homemade pumpkin pie. You will love the fresh, full flavor of baking w...
Savory Pumpkin Recipes
These savory pumpkin recipes deserve just as much room on your holiday menu as pumpkin dessert recipes. In these di...
Luscious Pumpkin Desserts
With classic pumpkin desserts like pumpkin pie and new favorites like pumpkin bread pudding and pumpkin cupcakes, o...
Warm and Cozy Fall Desserts
If you ask us, our best fall desserts are always in season. But these served-warm treats—boasting pumpkin, chocolat...