Roasted Pork Tacos with Pumpkin Seed Sauce
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Roast: 2 hrs 45 mins 350°F /400 degrees F
- Stand: 20 mins
- 3 pounds pork shoulder (bone in)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons achiote paste (available at Mexican grocery stores)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed or finely chopped dried chile de arbol
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- White corn tortillas, warmed or toasted in a skillet
- Sliced pickled jalapeno peppers
- Sour cream
- Chopped tomatoes seasoned with sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Radish slices
- Lime wedges
- Chopped avocado
- Pickled Red Onions
- Cilantro sprigs
- 1 recipe Pumpkin Seed Sauce
- 1 recipe Roasted Pumpkin Guacamole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 3-quart rectangular baking dish or roasting pan with foil; set aside.
- Score the fat cap of the pork shoulder into a diamond pattern, about 1-inch diamonds with about 1/2-inch of depth. Season the pork should with 1 teaspoon salt. Place pork in prepared dish, fat side up. Set aside.
- Roast pork 2 1/2 hours, occasionally spooning some of the achiote sauce over the pork. Increase oven to 400 degrees F; roast 15 minutes more. Remove roast from oven, cover and let stand 20 minutes.
- Roast for the pork should for 2 1/2 hours, spooning sauce over occasionally. Increase heat to 400 degrees F and roast for 15 minutes more. Remove from oven. Let stand, covered, for 20 minutes. Using 2 forks, pull the meat off the bone into shreds. Serve with tortillas and remaining garnishes.
Pumpkin Seed Sauce
- Toast the pumpkin seeds in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When you are cooking seeds they will burn quickly so keep and eye on them and stir often. You are looking for a little browning, a development of nutty flavor. This should take 2 to 3 minutes. While you are finishing getting the seeds all toasty, set up the blender and combine shallot, garlic, the serrano, cumin and cinnamon. Add half of the chicken stock, the toasted pumpkin seeds, and the salt; cover and blend to a fine texture.
- Heat the large skillet over medium-high heat and add the avocado oil. When the oil is hot add the mixture from the blender and cook down, stirring often, for 5 to 10 minutes, adjusting the heat as necessary. The texture should be like a smooth salsa, but not too thick. Set aside to cool.
- Combine the remaining stock with the cilantro and the parsley in the blender and blend until smooth. This sauce should be very green and when the salsa base is cool, combine the two. Serve warm or at room temperature. Or, transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator up to 1 week.
From the Test Kitchen
*Handling Hot Peppers:
Because hot chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid contact with chiles as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the chile peppers, wash your hands well with soap and water.
Pickled Red Onions
- Place the onions in a large non-reactive, heatproof bowl; set aside. Combine the water, vinegar, and sugar in a 2-quart pot and bring to boiling. Pour the mixture over the onions and cover with plastic wrap. Let cool to room temperature before draining and serving.
Nutrition Facts (Roasted Pork Tacos with Pumpkin Seed Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 435 kcal ,
- 24 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 11 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 88 mg chol. ,
- 625 mg sodium ,
- 24 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 8 g sugar ,
- 31 g pro.
Pumpkin Pie Recipes
From traditional pumpkin pie recipes to elegant and creative variations (such as pumpkin pie pudding, cheesecake, a...
Think outside the box when it's time for pumpkin recipes! Sure, there's pumpkin pie—but pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin...
How to Make Pumpkin Pie from a Pumpkin
Pick up a pumpkin or two and make an amazing homemade pumpkin pie. You will love the fresh, full flavor of baking w...
Savory Pumpkin Recipes
These savory pumpkin recipes deserve just as much room on your holiday menu as pumpkin dessert recipes. In these di...
Luscious Pumpkin Desserts
With classic pumpkin desserts like pumpkin pie and new favorites like pumpkin bread pudding and pumpkin cupcakes, o...
Warm and Cozy Fall Desserts
If you ask us, our best fall desserts are always in season. But these served-warm treats—boasting pumpkin, chocolat...