Pumpkin Tortilla Casserole with Chicken
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 45 mins
- Bake: 35 mins 400°F
- Stand: 5 mins
- 1 15 ounce can pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 11 ounce can tomatillos, rinsed, drained, and choppped
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 large)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh jalapeno chile pepper*
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup roasted, salted pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- Sour cream (optional)
- Salsa (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a medium bowl combine pumpkin, 1 teaspoon of the cumin, half of the garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt; set aside.
- For sauce, in a food processor combine tomatillos, onion, broth, cilantro, jalapeno pepper, the remaining 1 teaspoon cumin, the remaining garlic, and the remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Cover and process until smooth. Place shredded chicken in a large bowl. Add 1/4 cup of the sauce; toss gently to coat.
- Lightly coat a 3-quart rectangular baking dish with cooking spray. Spread 1/2 cup of the sauce in bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with four of the tortillas, tearing as necessary to cover entire surface. Top with half of the pumpkin mixture, half of the chicken mixture, 1/2 cup of the sauce, and 1/2 cup of the cheese. Repeat layers. Top with the remaining four tortillas, the remaining sauce, and the remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Bake, covered, for 20 minutes. Bake, uncovered, about 15 minutes more or until bubbly around the edges. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. If desired, serve with sour cream and salsa.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Pumpkin Tortilla Casserole with Chicken)
- Per serving:
- 444 kcal ,
- 23 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 88 mg chol. ,
- 737 mg sodium ,
- 27 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 35 g pro.
Pumpkin Pie Recipes
From traditional pumpkin pie recipes to elegant and creative variations (such as pumpkin pie pudding, cheesecake, a...
Think outside the box when it's time for pumpkin recipes! Sure, there's pumpkin pie—but pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin...
How to Make Pumpkin Pie from a Pumpkin
Pick up a pumpkin or two and make an amazing homemade pumpkin pie. You will love the fresh, full flavor of baking w...
Savory Pumpkin Recipes
These savory pumpkin recipes deserve just as much room on your holiday menu as pumpkin dessert recipes. In these di...
Luscious Pumpkin Desserts
With classic pumpkin desserts like pumpkin pie and new favorites like pumpkin bread pudding and pumpkin cupcakes, o...
Warm and Cozy Fall Desserts
If you ask us, our best fall desserts are always in season. But these served-warm treats—boasting pumpkin, chocolat...