Peppery Pumpkin Seed Toffee
- Makes: 24 servings
- Prep: 20 mins (plus toasting seeds)
- Cook: 15 mins
- 1 1/2 cups purchased pumpkin seeds or Toasted Pumpkin Seeds (see Recipe Center)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon light-colored corn syrup
- Prepare toasted pumpkin seeds according to recipe except add cumin and cayenne pepper to the oil mixture. Or, use purchased pumpkin seeds and omit cumin and cayenne.
- Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending it over edges.
- Butter sides of a heavy 2-quart saucepan. In pan melt butter. Add sugar, water, and corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until mixture boils. Clip a candy thermometer to side of pan. Reduce heat to medium; continue boiling at a moderate, steady rate, stirring frequently, until thermometer registers 290 degrees F (soft-crack stage), about 15 minutes. Watch carefully after 280 degrees F to prevent scorching.
- Remove saucepan from heat; remove thermometer. Quickly stir in toasted pumpkin seeds. Pour candy into prepared pan; spread evenly (mixture will be thick). Let candy stand until firm. When candy is cool and firm, use foil to lift from pan. Break into pieces. Store tightly covered.
Nutrition Facts (Peppery Pumpkin Seed Toffee)
- Per serving:
- 138 kcal ,
- 11 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 16 mg chol. ,
- 82 mg sodium ,
- 10 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 9 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.
Pumpkin Pie Recipes
From traditional pumpkin pie recipes to elegant and creative variations (such as pumpkin pie pudding, cheesecake, a...
Think outside the box when it's time for pumpkin recipes! Sure, there's pumpkin pie—but pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin...
How to Make Pumpkin Pie from a Pumpkin
Pick up a pumpkin or two and make an amazing homemade pumpkin pie. You will love the fresh, full flavor of baking w...
Savory Pumpkin Recipes
These savory pumpkin recipes deserve just as much room on your holiday menu as pumpkin dessert recipes. In these di...
Luscious Pumpkin Desserts
With classic pumpkin desserts like pumpkin pie and new favorites like pumpkin bread pudding and pumpkin cupcakes, o...
Warm and Cozy Fall Desserts
If you ask us, our best fall desserts are always in season. But these served-warm treats—boasting pumpkin, chocolat...