Cranberry-Pumpkin Scones with Sugared Pepitas
- Makes: servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Bake: 15 mins to 20 mins 400°F
- Cool: 5 mins
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cut up
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup half-and-half, light cream, or milk
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 recipe Sugared Pepitas (desired amount)
- Finely shredded orange peel (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. In a large bowl stir together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in the 1/2 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add cranberries and toss well. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside.
- In a small bowl stir together the 2 eggs, half-and-half, and pumpkin. Add pumpkin mixture all at once to flour mixture. Using a fork, stir just until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing it for 10 to 12 strokes or until dough is nearly smooth. Pat or lightly roll dough into an 8-inch circle. Cut circle into eight wedges.
- Place wedges 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. In a small bowl combine the 1 egg with the 1 tablespoon water. Brush wedges lightly with egg mixture. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Remove scones from baking sheet. Let cool for 5 minutes before spreading with glaze.
- For glaze, in a small bowl stir together powdered sugar, the 1 tablespoon butter, the 2 teaspoons orange peel, and the orange juice until well combined.
- Spoon glaze over warm scones, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with some of the Sugared Pepitas* and, if desired, additional shredded orange peel. Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
Store remaining Sugared Pepitas in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks. Use Sugared Pepitas on cheesecake, muffins, salads, or just to snack on.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with parchment paper; set aside. In a small saucepan combine 1/3 cup sugar and water. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves; remove from heat. Let mixture cool. In a medium bowl combine pepitas with cooled sugar mixture; toss well to combine. Spread in prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar and salt. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until light brown and crisp, stirring twice. Let cool on baking sheet. Makes 2 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Cranberry-Pumpkin Scones with Sugared Pepitas)
- Per serving:
- 544 kcal ,
- 21 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 119 mg chol. ,
- 401 mg sodium ,
- 82 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 47 g sugar ,
- 9 g pro.
Pumpkin Pie Recipes
From traditional pumpkin pie recipes to elegant and creative variations (such as pumpkin pie pudding, cheesecake, a...
Think outside the box when it's time for pumpkin recipes! Sure, there's pumpkin pie—but pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin...
How to Make Pumpkin Pie from a Pumpkin
Pick up a pumpkin or two and make an amazing homemade pumpkin pie. You will love the fresh, full flavor of baking w...
Savory Pumpkin Recipes
These savory pumpkin recipes deserve just as much room on your holiday menu as pumpkin dessert recipes. In these di...
Luscious Pumpkin Desserts
With classic pumpkin desserts like pumpkin pie and new favorites like pumpkin bread pudding and pumpkin cupcakes, o...
Warm and Cozy Fall Desserts
If you ask us, our best fall desserts are always in season. But these served-warm treats—boasting pumpkin, chocolat...