Shredded Pork Tacos
- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Slow Cook: 8 hrs to 10 hrs (low) or 4 to 5 hours (high)
- Cook: 20 mins
- 1 4 pound bone-in pork shoulder
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- Ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 3 cups root beer
- 3 - 4 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped*
- 2 - 3 teaspoons canned adobo sauce
- 24 flour or corn tortillas, warmed**
- Toppers, such as shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, and sliced fresh jalapeno peppers* (optional)
- Sprinkle meat on all sides with chili powder, salt and pepper; rub in with your fingers. Place meat in a 6-quart slow cooker. Tuck onion wedges around meat. In a bowl combine root beer, chipotle peppers, and adobo sauce. Pour mixture over meat.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours or until meat is tender and easily shreds with a fork. Transfer meat to large cutting board or work surface; cool slightly.
- Transfer cooking liquid to a medium saucepan. Skim off and discard fat. Bring cooking liquid to simmering over medium heat. Cook for 20 minutes or until liquid is reduced and slightly thickened.
- Use two forks to pull meat apart into coarse shreds, discarding fat; return meat to slow cooker. Pour reduced cooking liquid over meat. Stir to coat.
- Serve meat in warm tortillas with desired toppings.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. when working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
To warm tortillas, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Stack tortillas and wrap tightly in foil. Heat for about 10 minutes or until warm.
Nutrition Facts (Shredded Pork Tacos)
- Per serving:
- 501 kcal ,
- 25 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 11 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 80 mg chol. ,
- 627 mg sodium ,
- 42 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 8 g sugar ,
- 25 g pro.
How to Throw a Casual Mexican Taco Party Like a Chef
Whether you're celebrating Day of the Dead, Cinco de Mayo, or just a low-key Friday night with friends, a build-you...
Fresh Salsa Recipes
Fresh salsa makes a perfect topping on chicken, beef, pork, or fish, and is equally delicious served as an appetize...
Mexican Chicken Recipes
From classic chicken tacos and chicken enchiladas to new flavors like chicken empanadas, our collection of Mexican...
20 Slow Cooker Mexican Favorites
From enchiladas and fajitas to tacos and burritos, these flavorful slow cooker Mexican recipes will top your list o...
Classic Mexican Recipes with a Twist
We've put a new twist on the classics, including burritos, quesadillas, tacos, and fajitas, for a fresh dinner idea...
Our Best Vegetarian Mexican Dishes
Mexican recipes are full of vegetarian favorites—black beans, avocados, and oodles of fresh vegetables. These Mexic...
How to Make Burritos
Burritos are fun to fill and fold and to eat. Jumbo Mission-style burritos are trendy now; here's how to make them...
How to Make Mexican Rice
Serve a bowl of colorful Mexican rice with tacos or enchiladas, or tuck the rice inside burritos.