Grilled Vegetable Tostadas with Quick Mole Sauce
- Makes: servings
- Prep: 1 hr
- Cook: 10 mins
- Grill: 5 mins
- 1 recipe Quick Mole Sauce, (recipe below)
- 4 medium zucchini and/or yellow summer squash, quartered lengthwise
- 1 medium eggplant, cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 1 large red onion, cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 16 4 inches toasted corn tortillas*
- 1 8 ounce carton sour cream
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese
- Avocado slices and/or Fresh Cilantro
- Prepare Quick Mole Sauce.
- Brush zucchini or squash, eggplant, and onion with olive oil; season with salt and black pepper.
- For charcoal grill, on rack of uncovered grill, cook vegetables directly over medium coals 5 to 8 minutes or until tender, turning once halfway through grilling. (For gas grill, preheat. Reduce heat to medium. Place vegetables on rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.) Cut vegetables in pieces.
- Serve the grilled vegetables with Quick Mole Sauce, toasted tortillas, sour cream, cheese, avocado, and cilantro. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
*Toasted Corn Tortillas:
(Find 4-inch tortillas in stores that stock Mexican foods.) Brush both sides of tortillas with 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Place on baking sheet. Heat in 425 degrees F oven 8 minutes or until golden. Or, after brushing with oil, grill directly over medium coals 30 seconds each side or until warmed.
Hot: 2 tsp. chili powder
Hotter: 3 tsp. hot chili powder
Hottest: 4 tsp. hot chili powder + hot-style BBQ sauce
Quick Mole Sauce
- In large dry skillet over medium heat toast pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds 2 to 3 minutes or until toasted. Remove from skillet.
- In same skillet cook onion and garlic in hot oil 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in chili powder, cumin, and cinnamon. Cook 1 minute more or until fragrant. Stir in barbecue sauce, bittersweet chocolate, and hot pepper sauce (optional). Bring to boiling; reduce heat. simmer until chocolate is melted. Cool slightly. Transfer onion mixture and toasted seeds to blender or food processor. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Thin with water if needed; cool. Makes 1-1/2 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Grilled Vegetable Tostadas with Quick Mole Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 464 kcal ,
- 28 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 13 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 25 mg chol. ,
- 514 mg sodium ,
- 48 g carb. ,
- 9 g fiber ,
- 16 g sugar ,
- 11 g pro.
How to Throw a Casual Mexican Taco Party Like a Chef
Whether you're celebrating Day of the Dead, Cinco de Mayo, or just a low-key Friday night with friends, a build-you...
Fresh Salsa Recipes
Fresh salsa makes a perfect topping on chicken, beef, pork, or fish, and is equally delicious served as an appetize...
Mexican Chicken Recipes
From classic chicken tacos and chicken enchiladas to new flavors like chicken empanadas, our collection of Mexican...
20 Slow Cooker Mexican Favorites
From enchiladas and fajitas to tacos and burritos, these flavorful slow cooker Mexican recipes will top your list o...
Classic Mexican Recipes with a Twist
We've put a new twist on the classics, including burritos, quesadillas, tacos, and fajitas, for a fresh dinner idea...
Our Best Vegetarian Mexican Dishes
Mexican recipes are full of vegetarian favorites—black beans, avocados, and oodles of fresh vegetables. These Mexic...
How to Make Burritos
Burritos are fun to fill and fold and to eat. Jumbo Mission-style burritos are trendy now; here's how to make them...
How to Make Mexican Rice
Serve a bowl of colorful Mexican rice with tacos or enchiladas, or tuck the rice inside burritos.