Hot and Chunky Guacamole
- Makes: 9 servings
- Start to Finish: 25 mins
- 1 1/4 cups fresh or frozen shelled peas
- 2 ripe avocados, halved, pitted, and peeled
- 1 - 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- Tortilla chips
- Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to boiling. Add peas; simmer frozen peas 1 minute, or simmer fresh peas 5 minutes. Drain; rinse with cold water. Drain again and cool.
- Place avocados and lime juice in medium bowl. With a fork, mash avocados. Add peas, onion, garlic, cilantro, and jalapeno. Season to taste with salt. Place guacamole in a serving bowl. Serve immediately or cover surface with plastic wrap and chill up to 2 hours. Drizzle with olive oil if desired; serve with tortilla chips. Makes 9 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
*Handling Hot Peppers:
Because hot chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid contact with chiles as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the chile peppers, wash your hands well with soap and water.
Nutrition Facts (Hot and Chunky Guacamole)
- Per serving:
- 69 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 69 mg sodium ,
- 6 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 1 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.
How to Throw a Casual Mexican Taco Party Like a Chef
Whether you're celebrating Day of the Dead, Cinco de Mayo, or just a low-key Friday night with friends, a build-you...
Fresh Salsa Recipes
Fresh salsa makes a perfect topping on chicken, beef, pork, or fish, and is equally delicious served as an appetize...
Mexican Chicken Recipes
From classic chicken tacos and chicken enchiladas to new flavors like chicken empanadas, our collection of Mexican...
20 Slow Cooker Mexican Favorites
From enchiladas and fajitas to tacos and burritos, these flavorful slow cooker Mexican recipes will top your list o...
Classic Mexican Recipes with a Twist
We've put a new twist on the classics, including burritos, quesadillas, tacos, and fajitas, for a fresh dinner idea...
Our Best Vegetarian Mexican Dishes
Mexican recipes are full of vegetarian favorites—black beans, avocados, and oodles of fresh vegetables. These Mexic...
How to Make Burritos
Burritos are fun to fill and fold and to eat. Jumbo Mission-style burritos are trendy now; here's how to make them...
How to Make Mexican Rice
Serve a bowl of colorful Mexican rice with tacos or enchiladas, or tuck the rice inside burritos.