The Best Sugar Cookies
- Makes: servings
- Prep: 35 mins
- Chill: 30 mins
- Bake: 7 mins 375°F per batch
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 recipe Royal Icing (optional)
- Small decorative candies (optional)
- In a large bowl beat butter on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, milk, and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Cover; chill about 30 minutes or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough, half at a time, until 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Using 2-1/2-inch cookie cutters, cut dough into desired shapes. Place cutouts 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 7 to 10 minutes or until edges are very light brown. Transfer to wire racks; cool. If desired, frost with Royal icing and/or decorate with decorative candies.
From the Test Kitchen
Meringue powder is a mixture of pasteurized dried egg whites, sugar, and edible gums. Look for it in the baking aisle of your supermarket or at a specialty food store.
Layer uniced cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months. If desired, ice and decorate before serving.
- In a large bowl, combine powdered sugar, meringue powder, and cream of tartar. Add the 1/2 cup water and the vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined, then on high speed for 7 to 10 minutes or until very stiff. Add the 2 to 4 tablespoons water, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make an icing of spreading consistency. If desired, divide icing into individual bowls and tint with paste food coloring.
Nutrition Facts (The Best Sugar Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 74 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 14 mg chol. ,
- 55 mg sodium ,
- 10 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.
Cute Desserts for Every Season
With desserts as cute as these, there's always a reason to celebrate. Pick and choose from our adorable-as-ever hol...
Scrumptious Italian Desserts
Touting creamy gelato and richly delicious cakes, Italy produces some of the world's most beloved desserts. Crafted...
Share some sweets at your next get-together with our favorite potluck desserts. We have the desserts you've been dr...
Healthy Baking Products and Swaps
These heart-healthy baking essentials will help you trim fat and sodium, plus boost fiber, antioxidants, and whole...
Impressive Desserts for Special Occasions
These gorgeous desserts will be the talk of your family, friends, and guests. When you really want the final course...
Dark Chocolate Desserts
Bittersweet dark chocolate is a king among chocolate-lovers. Take the rich treat one step further and include it in...
20 Outstanding Orange Desserts
Hints of orange add brightness and sparkle to these irresistible desserts. Our collection of citrus-flavored sweets...
Easy 30-Minute Desserts
End your day on a sweet note with these quick and easy dessert recipes. Our collection of speedy treats includes cr...