Chocolate Sour Cream Cake with Fudgy Frosting
- Makes: 16 servings
- Prep: 45 mins
- Bake: 25 mins 350°F
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 8 ounce carton dairy sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 recipe Fudgy Frosting
- Let eggs stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans. Set aside.
- In small bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In large bowl beat shortening and sugar on medium speed until combined. Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined. Beat in melted chocolate and sour cream. Alternately add flour mixture and milk; beat on low after each addition just until combined. Divide batter evenly between the prepared pans. Using a small offset spatula or rubber spatula, smooth the top of batter in each pan.
- Bake 25 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool cake layers in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Using a small metal spatula, loosen sides of each cake layer. Place a wire rack on top of one pan; carefully invert pan with rack. Lift pan off cake layer. Repeat with the remaining cake layer. Cool cake layers on wire racks about 2 hours or until completely cool.
- Prepare Fudgy Frosting. Place one layer flat side down on plate. Spread top with 1 cup frosting. Stack second layer flat side down. Spread the top and sides with the remaining frosting. Makes 16 servings.
- In large pan over low heat melt and stir semisweet chocolate pieces and butter. Cool 10 minutes. Stir in sour cream. Stir in powdered sugar; stir until smooth. Makes 4 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate Sour Cream Cake with Fudgy Frosting)
- Per serving:
- 555 kcal ,
- 27 g fat
- (14 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 9 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 56 mg chol. ,
- 201 mg sodium ,
- 77 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 63 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.
Cute Desserts for Every Season
With desserts as cute as these, there's always a reason to celebrate. Pick and choose from our adorable-as-ever hol...
Scrumptious Italian Desserts
Touting creamy gelato and richly delicious cakes, Italy produces some of the world's most beloved desserts. Crafted...
Share some sweets at your next get-together with our favorite potluck desserts. We have the desserts you've been dr...
Healthy Baking Products and Swaps
These heart-healthy baking essentials will help you trim fat and sodium, plus boost fiber, antioxidants, and whole...
Impressive Desserts for Special Occasions
These gorgeous desserts will be the talk of your family, friends, and guests. When you really want the final course...
Dark Chocolate Desserts
Bittersweet dark chocolate is a king among chocolate-lovers. Take the rich treat one step further and include it in...
20 Outstanding Orange Desserts
Hints of orange add brightness and sparkle to these irresistible desserts. Our collection of citrus-flavored sweets...
Easy 30-Minute Desserts
End your day on a sweet note with these quick and easy dessert recipes. Our collection of speedy treats includes cr...