Sweet Beets and Greens Smoothies
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- 3 medium beets, peeled and quartered (9 ounces)*
- 1 1/2 cups frozen unsweetened blueberries
- 1 1/2 cups frozen unsweetened whole strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups pomegranate juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 cups chopped, trimmed Swiss chard or kale
- In a medium saucepan cook beets, covered, in boiling water for 30 to 40 minutes or until very tender. Drain beets in a colander. Run cold water over beets until cool. Drain well.
- In a blender combine beets, blueberries, strawberries, pomegranate juice, and honey. Cover and blend until smooth, stopping to scrape sides of blender as needed. Add chard (blender will be full); cover and blend until very smooth, stopping to scrape sides of blender as needed.
- Pour into tall glasses and serve immediately.
From the Test Kitchen
Use fresh beets for the best flavor. If fresh beets are unavailable, you can substitute one 8-ounce package refrigerated cooked whole baby beets for the fresh beets (see photo, page xx).
Prepare smoothies as directed. Transfer to an airtight freezer container. Cover and chill for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 6 months. If frozen, thaw in the refrigerator. Stir well before serving.
Nutrition Facts (Sweet Beets and Greens Smoothies)
- Per serving:
- 178 kcal ,
- 1 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 0 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 89 mg sodium ,
- 44 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 37 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.
Ripe, juicy strawberry drinks make a delicious addition to your recipe repertoire. We've rounded up our best for yo...
This is a smart start to your day.
How to Peel a Mango
The large, hard oval seed in the center of a mango can make it a challenge to peel and harvest the juicy flesh. Her...
How to Make a Smoothie
A smoothie can be as simple as fruit juice, yogurt, and ice, blended into an on-the-run meal or a filling snack. Th...
How to Select Fresh Fruit
When picking fruits, look for plumpness, tenderness, and bright color.
35+ Refreshing Summer Drinks
Beat the heat with these cool summer drink recipes. With both alcoholic and nonalcoholic fruit drinks as well as cr...