Energizing Mocha-Almond Smoothies
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
- 3/4 cup 1-inch pieces peeled rutabaga or parsnip
- 3/4 cup 1-inch pieces peeled eggplant
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso coffee powder
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups vanilla-flavor or original almond milk, chilled
- 1 banana, peeled and cut up
- 3 tablespoons almond butter or peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup ice cubes
- In a small saucepan cook rutabaga and eggplant in enough boiling water to cover, about 15 minutes or until very tender. Drain and rinse with cold water to cool quickly.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine the boiling water and the espresso powder. Stir until dissolved. Add brown sugar; stir until sugar is dissolved. Cover and chill while vegetables cook.
- In a blender combine rutabaga mixture, brown sugar mixture, almond milk, banana, almond butter, and cocoa powder. Cover and blend until very smooth, stopping and scraping sides of blender as needed. Add ice cubes. Cover and blend until smooth.
- Pour into tall glasses and serve immediately.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare smoothies as directed. Transfer to an airtight freezer container. Cover and chill for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 6 months. If frozen, thaw in the refrigerator. Stir well before serving.
Nutrition Facts (Energizing Mocha-Almond Smoothies)
- Per serving:
- 209 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 93 mg sodium ,
- 34 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 25 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.
Ripe, juicy strawberry drinks make a delicious addition to your recipe repertoire. We've rounded up our best for yo...
This is a smart start to your day.
How to Peel a Mango
The large, hard oval seed in the center of a mango can make it a challenge to peel and harvest the juicy flesh. Her...
How to Make a Smoothie
A smoothie can be as simple as fruit juice, yogurt, and ice, blended into an on-the-run meal or a filling snack. Th...
How to Select Fresh Fruit
When picking fruits, look for plumpness, tenderness, and bright color.
35+ Refreshing Summer Drinks
Beat the heat with these cool summer drink recipes. With both alcoholic and nonalcoholic fruit drinks as well as cr...