Virgin Mary Smoothies
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 12 mins
- Stand: 30 mins
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 28 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup ice cubes
- Celery sticks (optional)
- In a small saucepan combine carrots, sliced celery, and water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 12 minutes or until carrots and celery are very tender. Transfer to a small bowl (do not drain). Set bowl with carrot mixture in a slightly larger bowl with ice water. Let stand for 30 minutes to chill, stirring occasionally. Place undrained tomatoes in a medium bowl. Cover and freeze while carrot mixture chills.
- Transfer carrot mixture to a blender. Add undrained tomatoes, horseradish (if desired), and hot sauce. Cover and blend until very smooth, stopping and scraping sides of blender as needed. Add ice cubes. Cover and blend until smooth (blender will be full).
- Pour into tall glasses to serve. If desired, garnish with celery sticks.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare smoothies as directed. Transfer to an airtight freezer container. Cover and chill up to 3 days or freeze up to 6 months. If frozen, thaw in the refrigerator. Stir well before serving.
Nutrition Facts (Virgin Mary Smoothies )
- Per serving:
- 48 kcal ,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 0 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 316 mg sodium ,
- 11 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.
Ripe, juicy strawberry drinks make a delicious addition to your recipe repertoire. We've rounded up our best for yo...
This is a smart start to your day.
How to Peel a Mango
The large, hard oval seed in the center of a mango can make it a challenge to peel and harvest the juicy flesh. Her...
How to Make a Smoothie
A smoothie can be as simple as fruit juice, yogurt, and ice, blended into an on-the-run meal or a filling snack. Th...
How to Select Fresh Fruit
When picking fruits, look for plumpness, tenderness, and bright color.
35+ Refreshing Summer Drinks
Beat the heat with these cool summer drink recipes. With both alcoholic and nonalcoholic fruit drinks as well as cr...