Edamame and Ricotta Toasts
- Makes: 8 servings
- Start to Finish: 25 mins
- 2/3 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen shelled sweet soybeans (edamame)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/3 cup snipped fresh basil or mint
- 24 1/4 inches whole grain baguette-style French bread slices, toasted
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat broiler. In a small saucepan cook peas and edamame in boiling water about 10 minutes or until very tender; drain. Transfer to a food processor. Add lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cover and process until smooth, stopping and scraping down sides as necessary. Transfer mixture to a small bowl.
- In the same saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic; cook and stir about 1 minute or until tender. Stir garlic mixture and basil into pureed edamame mixture.
- To assemble, spread toasted baguette slices with ricotta cheese. Arrange on a baking sheet. Broil about 4 inches from the heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until ricotta is warm. Sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Serve ricotta toasts with pureed edamame mixture.
Nutrition Facts (Edamame and Ricotta Toasts)
- Per serving:
- 133 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 5 mg chol. ,
- 372 mg sodium ,
- 20 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 7 g pro.
How to Make a Healthy Pizza
Think outside the (pizza) box! With a few simple ingredient substitutions, you can turn any pizza recipe into a hea...
Healthy Italian Recipes
Carbs aren't the only thing Italians are good at. These healthy Italian recipes—chicken calzones, prosciutto panini...
Quick and Easy Healthy Dinner Recipes
Do you have 30 minutes? Then you have enough time to make a healthy dinner that's tasty, too! Take a peek at our fo...
Healthy Chicken Recipes
Expand your dinner repertoire with these easy, healthy chicken recipes. Each nutritious dish has fewer than 400 cal...
25-Minute Healthy Dinner Recipes
Eating healthy doesn't have to mean spending hours in the kitchen. You can satisfy your schedule and your waistline...
Healthy Lunch Ideas: Brown Bag Recipes
Brighten up your brown-bag lunch with healthy lunch recipes. With fresh salads, easy sandwiches, and simple snacks,...
Healthy Breakfast Recipes Under $2
At less than $2 per serving, these healthy breakfast recipes—hearty egg dishes and casseroles, homemade cereals, an...
Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss
You can snack and lose weight, if you choose the right snacks. Here diet doctor Melina Jampolis shares her picks fo...