Fresh Strawberry Pie
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 1 hr
- Chill: 1 hr
- 1 recipe Baked Pastry Shell (see recipe below)
- 8 cups medium fresh strawberries
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Several drops red food coloring (optional)
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Prepare Baked Pastry Shell and set aside. Meanwhile remove stems from strawberries. Cut any large strawberries in half lengthwise; set aside.
- For glaze, in a blender or food processor combine 1 cup of the strawberries and 2/3 cup water. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Add enough additional water to the mixture to equal 1-1/2 cups. In a medium saucepan combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in blended strawberry mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. If desired, stir in red food coloring. Remove from heat; cool for 10 minutes. (Do not stir.)
- Spread about 1/4 cup of the glaze over bottom and sides of Baked Pastry Shell. Arrange half of the remaining strawberries, stem ends down, in the pastry shell.
- Carefully spoon half of the remaining glaze over berries, making sure all berries are covered. Arrange remaining berries over first layer. Spoon remaining glaze over berries, covering each. Chill for 1 to 2 hours. (After 2 hours, filling may begin to water out.) If desired, top with whipped cream.
- Makes 8 slices.
From the Test Kitchen
Fresh Peach Pie:
Prepare as above, except substitute 6 cups sliced, peeled peaches for the strawberries and omit the food coloring.
Baked Pastry Shell
- Stir together flour and salt. Cut in shortening. Moisten dough with water, adding 1 tablespoon at a time and tossing with a fork. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-inch circle. Ease pastry into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry. Crimp edge. Prick bottom and side of pastry. Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake in a 450 degrees F oven for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 5 to 6 minutes more or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.
Nutrition Facts (Fresh Strawberry Pie)
- Per serving:
- 253 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 75 mg sodium ,
- 42 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 24 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.
Game-Changing Strawberry Dessert Recipes
From strawberry shortcakes and parfaits to strawberry-rhubarb pies and dessert pizzas, these strawberry dessert rec...
Strawberries add sparkle to every dish they go in. Here, strawberries brighten salads for an unexpected and delicio...
Strawberry Jam Recipes
Why buy strawberry jam when you can make your own mouthwatering spreads? Featuring surprising ingredients such as b...
Fresh Rhubarb Recipes
Rhubarb's naturally tart flavor makes a perfect addition to sweet treats, but don't limit fresh rhubarb to dessert...
Healthy Dinner Recipes for Spring
Shake off the winter chill with healthy spring recipes including silky carrot soup and avocado-slathered sandwiches...
Our Best-Ever Spring Recipes from Better Homes and Gardens
There's always something new in the Better Homes and Gardens® Test Kitchen. Every year, our editors and Test Kitche...
In-Season Spring Dinners
Along with pastel flowers and warmer weather, spring brings a bounty of fresh produce to your kitchen table. From a...
Our Best Spring Desserts
Spring is all about sweets. Including moist cupcakes accented with rosemary and decadent blueberry cheesecake bars,...