Strawberries and Cream Pancakes
- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 1 min to 2 mins per side
- 3 cups coarsely chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup oat flour or oat bran
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds or flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon sugar*
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, or 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup whipped Greek cream cheese**, softened
- 1 - 2 tablespoons orange juice
- In a medium bowl combine strawberries, orange peel, and 1/4 cup orange juice. Cover and let stand for 20 to 30 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl stir together flours, seeds, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl use a fork to combine milk, egg, and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be slightly lumpy).
- For each pancake, pour 2 tablespoons batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet. Spread batter to an even layer if necessary. Cook over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until pancakes are golden brown; turn over when surfaces are bubbly and edges are slightly dry. Keep pancakes warm in a 200 degrees F oven while making the rest.
- To serve, in a small bowl combine cream cheese and 1 to 2 tablespoons orange juice; spread evenly over pancakes. Top with strawberries.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test Kitchen Tip:
We do not recommend using a sugar substitute for this recipe.
**Test Kitchen Tip:
If you cannot find the Greek cream cheese, make your own. In a small bowl stir together 1/2 cup softened light tub-style cream cheese with 1/4 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt until smooth.
Nutrition Facts (Strawberries and Cream Pancakes)
- Per serving:
- 158 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 8 mg chol. ,
- 242 mg sodium ,
- 22 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 6 g pro.
Game-Changing Strawberry Dessert Recipes
From strawberry shortcakes and parfaits to strawberry-rhubarb pies and dessert pizzas, these strawberry dessert rec...
Strawberries add sparkle to every dish they go in. Here, strawberries brighten salads for an unexpected and delicio...
Strawberry Jam Recipes
Why buy strawberry jam when you can make your own mouthwatering spreads? Featuring surprising ingredients such as b...
Fresh Rhubarb Recipes
Rhubarb's naturally tart flavor makes a perfect addition to sweet treats, but don't limit fresh rhubarb to dessert...
Healthy Dinner Recipes for Spring
Shake off the winter chill with healthy spring recipes including silky carrot soup and avocado-slathered sandwiches...
Our Best-Ever Spring Recipes from Better Homes and Gardens
There's always something new in the Better Homes and Gardens® Test Kitchen. Every year, our editors and Test Kitche...
In-Season Spring Dinners
Along with pastel flowers and warmer weather, spring brings a bounty of fresh produce to your kitchen table. From a...
Our Best Spring Desserts
Spring is all about sweets. Including moist cupcakes accented with rosemary and decadent blueberry cheesecake bars,...