Sweet Cream Biscuits with Strawberry Gravy
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 40 mins
- Bake: 12 mins 425°
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cups whipping cream
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup instant wheat cereal (farina)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a large bowl stir together flour, the 1/2 cup sugar, the baking powder, and the 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir enough of the cream into the flour mixture to just moisten the flour.
- Turn out dough onto a floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing it just until dough holds together. Pat or lightly roll dough until 3/4 inch thick. Cut dough with a floured 2 1/2-inch round cutter. Dip cutter into flour between cuts and reroll scraps as necessary.
- Place dough rounds 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove biscuits from baking sheet. Cool slightly. (You will only need six biscuits for this recipe. Store any remaining biscuits to use later.*)
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan bring 2 1/4 cups of the milk to simmering. Slowly add instant wheat cereal, whisking constantly until fully incorporated. Bring to boiling; reduce heat to simmering. Stir in the 1/3 cup sugar, the vanilla, and the 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook for 2 minutes more. Add enough of the remaining 1/4 cup milk as needed to thin out cereal so it is the consistency of gravy. Stir in the 1 cup chopped strawberries.
- To serve, use a long serrated knife to cut biscuits in half horizontally. Place cut biscuits on six serving plates. Spoon cereal mixture over cut biscuits; top with sliced strawberries.
From the Test Kitchen
Place any remaining biscuits in an airtight container. Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
Nutrition Facts (Sweet Cream Biscuits with Strawberry Gravy)
- Per serving:
- 555 kcal ,
- 22 g fat
- (13 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 79 mg chol. ,
- 438 mg sodium ,
- 80 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 35 g sugar ,
- 11 g pro.
Game-Changing Strawberry Dessert Recipes
From strawberry shortcakes and parfaits to strawberry-rhubarb pies and dessert pizzas, these strawberry dessert rec...
Strawberries add sparkle to every dish they go in. Here, strawberries brighten salads for an unexpected and delicio...
Strawberry Jam Recipes
Why buy strawberry jam when you can make your own mouthwatering spreads? Featuring surprising ingredients such as b...
Fresh Rhubarb Recipes
Rhubarb's naturally tart flavor makes a perfect addition to sweet treats, but don't limit fresh rhubarb to dessert....
Healthy Dinner Recipes for Spring
Shake off the winter chill with healthy spring recipes, including silky carrot soup and avocado-slathered sandwiche...
Our Best-Ever Spring Recipes from Better Homes and Gardens
There's always something new in the Better Homes and Gardens® Test Kitchen. Every year, our editors and Test Kitche...
In-Season Spring Dinners
Along with pastel flowers and warmer weather, spring brings a bounty of fresh produce to your kitchen table. From a...
Our Best Spring Desserts
Spring is all about sweets. Including moist cupcakes accented with rosemary and decadent blueberry cheesecake bars,...