- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 35 mins
- Bake: 12 mins to 15 mins 400°F
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, separated
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon whipping cream
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon turbinado sugar
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Sweetened Whipped Cream:
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Place the butter and shortening in a small bowl, give a quick stir, cover and freeze for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. In a large bowl stir together the flours, 1/2 cup of the sugar, the baking powder, and salt. Add the butter mixture and use your fingers to rub the mixture into the flour until coarse and pebbly.
- In a medium bowl whisk together 1/2 cup cream, the egg yolk, and vanilla bean paste. Add to flour mixture. Stir with a fork just until combined. Gently knead the dough until it is smooth, about 1 minute (the dough should hold its shape without falling apart). Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface. Roll dough until 1-inch thick. Use a 2 1/2-inch round cutter to cut 6 rounds, rerolling scraps as necessary.
- Transfer rounds to prepared baking sheet. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a small bowl whisk together the egg white and 1 tablespoon cream. Brush over tops of dough rounds and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Remove and cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a medium bowl stir together the strawberries, remaining 1/4 cup sugar, and lemon juice; set aside.
Sweetened Whipped Cream:
- In a large chilled bowl beat 1 1/2 cups whipping cream, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Serve shortcakes with Sweetened Whipped Cream and strawberry mixture.
From the Test Kitchen
Cool completely and gently split with a serrated knife or the tines of a fork.
Nutrition Facts (Classic Shortcakes)
- Per serving:
- 757 kcal ,
- 48 g fat
- (26 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 15 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 164 mg chol. ,
- 507 mg sodium ,
- 75 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 33 g sugar ,
- 8 g pro.
Game-Changing Strawberry Dessert Recipes
From strawberry shortcakes and parfaits to strawberry-rhubarb pies and dessert pizzas, these strawberry dessert rec...
Strawberries add sparkle to every dish they go in. Here, strawberries brighten salads for an unexpected and delicio...
Strawberry Jam Recipes
Why buy strawberry jam when you can make your own mouthwatering spreads? Featuring surprising ingredients such as b...
Fresh Rhubarb Recipes
Rhubarb's naturally tart flavor makes a perfect addition to sweet treats, but don't limit fresh rhubarb to dessert....
Healthy Dinner Recipes for Spring
Shake off the winter chill with healthy spring recipes, including silky carrot soup and avocado-slathered sandwiche...
Our Best-Ever Spring Recipes from Better Homes and Gardens
There's always something new in the Better Homes and Gardens® Test Kitchen. Every year, our editors and Test Kitche...
In-Season Spring Dinners
Along with pastel flowers and warmer weather, spring brings a bounty of fresh produce to your kitchen table. From a...
Our Best Spring Desserts
Spring is all about sweets. Including moist cupcakes accented with rosemary and decadent blueberry cheesecake bars,...