Best Strawberry Shortcake
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Bake: 18 mins 400°F
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 5 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 recipe Sweetened Whipped Cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease an 8x1 1/2-inch round baking pan; set aside. In a medium bowl combine flour, the 1/4 cup sugar, the baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Using the back of a spoon, make a well in the center of the flour mixture. In a small bowl stir together egg, sour cream, and milk. Add egg mixture to flour mixture all at once, stirring with a fork just until moistened.
- Using a small offset metal spatula, spread dough evenly in the prepared pan. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Using a small metal spatula, loosen sides of shortcake. Place a wire rack on top of pan; place one hand on top of rack and other hand under pan and carefully invert pan with rack (use pot holders to protect your hands). Lift pan off shortcake. Cool on wire rack until completely cool.
- Meanwhile, combine 4 cups of the strawberries and the 3 tablespoons sugar. If desired, use a potato masher to mash berries slightly; set aside.
- To serve, cut shortcake in half horizontally. Spoon the strawberry mixture and the Sweetened Whipped Cream over shortcake bottom. Replace the shortcake top. Top with the remaining 1 cup sliced strawberries.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare Strawberry Shortcake as directed, except drop dough into eight mounds on a greased or parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to wire rack; cool completely. To serve, cut each shortcake in half horizontally. Spoon strawberry mixture and Sweetened Whipped Cream over shortcake bottoms. Replace shortcake tops. Top with the remaining 1 cup sliced strawberries. Makes 8 servings.
Per serving: 376 calories, 5 g protein, 41 g carbohydrate, 23 g fat (13 g sat. fat), 91 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 19 g total sugar, 16% Vitamin A, 89% Vitamin C, 275 mg sodium, 10% calcium, 9% iron
Strawberry Lemon-Poppy Seed Shortcake:
Prepare Strawberry Shortcake as directed, except stir 1 tablespoon poppy seeds and 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel into flour mixture after cutting in butter.
Per serving: 510 calories, 7 g protein, 55 g carbohydrate, 30 g total fat (18 g sat. fat), 122 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 26 g total sugar, 22% Vitamin A, 119% Vitamin C, 367 mg sodium, 15% calcium, 13% iron
Mixed Berry or Mixed Fruit Shortcake:
Prepare Strawberry Shortcake as directed, except substitute 5 cups mixed fresh berries (blueberries, raspberries, and/or blackberries) or 5 cups mixed fresh fruit (sliced peaches, nectarines, bananas, strawberries, raspberries, and/or halved grapes) for the 5 cups sliced strawberries. Do not mash fruit. If desired, drizzle fruit mixture with honey.
Per shortcake: 522 calories, 7 g protein, 59 g carbohydrate, 30 g total fat (18 g sat. fat), 122 mg cholesterol, 6 g fiber, 27 g total sugar, 24% Vitamin A, 36% Vitamin C, 366 mg sodium, 13% calcium, 13% iron
Prepare Strawberry Shortcake as directed, except stir 1/2 cup chopped walnuts into flour mixture after cutting in butter.
Per serving: 566 calories, 8 g protein, 56 g carbohydrate, 36 g total fat (19 g sat. fat), 122 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 26 g total sugar, 22% Vitamin A, 118% Vitamin C, 367 mg sodium, 14% calcium, 14% iron
Prepare Strawberry Shortcake as directed, except decrease sugar from 1/4 cup to 1 tablespoon in Step 1. Omit the strawberries, the 3 tablespoons sugar, and the Sweetened Whipped Cream and omit Step 3. In Step 1, stir in the sour cream mixture, then stir in one of the following mixtures: Mixture A: 1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese (1 ounce) and 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper Mixture B: 2 slices bacon, crisp-cooked and crumbled, and 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (1 ounce) Mixture C: 1/4 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese (1 ounce) and 2 teaspoons chopped canned chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce Mixture D: 2 tablespoons pitted and finely chopped kalamata olives, 2 tablespoons snipped dried tomatoes, and 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese Mixture E: 1/4 cup finely shredded white cheddar cheese (1 ounce) and 3 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
Per serving: 274 calories, 6 g protein, 27 g carbohydrate, 16 g total fat (9 g sat. fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 3 g total sugar, 10% Vitamin A, 0% Vitamin C, 406 mg sodium, 13% calcium, 10% iron
Sweetened Whipped Cream
- In a chilled bowl combine whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl).
Nutrition Facts (Best Strawberry Shortcake)
- Per serving:
- 502 kcal ,
- 30 g fat
- (18 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 122 mg chol. ,
- 366 mg sodium ,
- 54 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 26 g sugar ,
- 7 g pro.
Game-Changing Strawberry Dessert Recipes
From strawberry shortcakes and parfaits to strawberry-rhubarb pies and dessert pizzas, these strawberry dessert rec...
Strawberries add sparkle to every dish they go in. Here, strawberries brighten salads for an unexpected and delicio...
Strawberry Jam Recipes
Why buy strawberry jam when you can make your own mouthwatering spreads? Featuring surprising ingredients such as b...
Fresh Rhubarb Recipes
Rhubarb's naturally tart flavor makes a perfect addition to sweet treats, but don't limit fresh rhubarb to dessert....
Healthy Dinner Recipes for Spring
Shake off the winter chill with healthy spring recipes, including silky carrot soup and avocado-slathered sandwiche...
Our Best-Ever Spring Recipes from Better Homes and Gardens
There's always something new in the Better Homes and Gardens® Test Kitchen. Every year, our editors and Test Kitche...
In-Season Spring Dinners
Along with pastel flowers and warmer weather, spring brings a bounty of fresh produce to your kitchen table. From a...
Our Best Spring Desserts
Spring is all about sweets. Including moist cupcakes accented with rosemary and decadent blueberry cheesecake bars,...