Rhubarb-Strawberry Ice Cream
- Makes: 20 servings
- Prep: 40 mins
- Chill: 4 hrs
- Freeze: 4 hrs
- 3 cups sliced fresh rhubarb or frozen unsweetened sliced rhubarb (do not thaw frozen rhubarb)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups whipping cream
- Red food coloring (optional)
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven combine rhubarb, sugar, water, and strawberries. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 10 to 15 minutes or until fruit is very tender, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat. Add marshmallows and lemon juice. Cook and stir until marshmallows are melted. Transfer to a very large mixing bowl; cover and chill in the refrigerator 4 hours or overnight until completely chilled.
- In a chilled large mixing bowl beat whipping cream with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fold whipped cream into chilled fruit mixture. Stir in enough food coloring to reach desired color, if desired.
- Freeze ice cream mixture in a 4- or 5-quart ice cream freezer according to the manufacturers directions. Transfer to a freezer container. Cover and freeze about 4 hours or until firm. Makes about 10 cups (twenty 1/2-cup servings).
Nutrition Facts (Rhubarb-Strawberry Ice Cream)
- Per serving:
- 194 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 33 mg chol. ,
- 20 mg sodium ,
- 29 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 25 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.
Game-Changing Strawberry Dessert Recipes
From strawberry shortcakes and parfaits to strawberry-rhubarb pies and dessert pizzas, these strawberry dessert rec...
Strawberries add sparkle to every dish they go in. Here, strawberries brighten salads for an unexpected and delicio...
Strawberry Jam Recipes
Why buy strawberry jam when you can make your own mouthwatering spreads? Featuring surprising ingredients such as b...
Fresh Rhubarb Recipes
Rhubarb's naturally tart flavor makes a perfect addition to sweet treats, but don't limit fresh rhubarb to dessert...
Healthy Dinner Recipes for Spring
Shake off the winter chill with healthy spring recipes including silky carrot soup and avocado-slathered sandwiches...
Our Best-Ever Spring Recipes from Better Homes and Gardens
There's always something new in the Better Homes and Gardens® Test Kitchen. Every year, our editors and Test Kitche...
In-Season Spring Dinners
Along with pastel flowers and warmer weather, spring brings a bounty of fresh produce to your kitchen table. From a...
Our Best Spring Desserts
Spring is all about sweets. Including moist cupcakes accented with rosemary and decadent blueberry cheesecake bars,...