Grains & Fruit Summer Salad
- Makes: servings
- Start to Finish: 30 mins
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh basil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups cooked grain (quinoa*, wild rice and/or brown rice)
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 4 cups mixed spring greens (torn Bibb lettuce and/or spring mix)
- 2 cups blueberries (9-10 oz.)
- 1 cup cantaloupe cubes
- 1 cup yellow cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small zucchini, cut lengthwise in narrow ribbons
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces, toasted
- 4 ounces smoked salmon, flaked (optional)
- 1/3 cup snipped or shredded fresh herbs (dill, basil, and/or mint)
- For basil dressing, in a blender or small food processor combine the 1 cup basil, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Cover and blend or process until nearly smooth, stopping to scrape down sides as needed; set aside.
- In a medium bowl stir together cooked grains and green onions. Stir in about 2 tablespoons of the basil dressing to coat.
- For the salad, line a large bowl with greens. Top greens with grains mixture, blueberries, cantaloupe, tomatoes, zucchini, walnuts, and (if desired) salmon. Drizzle with half the remaining basil dressing; toss gently. Sprinkle with fresh herbs. Pass remaining dressing. Makes 8 side-dish or 4 main-dish servings.
- *For 2 cups cooked quinoa, in a fine strainer rinse quinoa under cold running water; drain. In a small saucepan combine water, the quinoa, and salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Let stand to cool slightly. Drain off remaining liquid. Fluff with a fork.
Nutrition Facts (Grains & Fruit Summer Salad)
- Per serving:
- 207 kcal ,
- 13 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 91 mg sodium ,
- 21 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.
July 4th Picnic Recipes
Start your 4th of July picnic by packing a basket full of these light and fresh recipes. With salads, sides, dips,...
5 Ways to Make Red, White, and Blue Desserts
Looking for a showstopping, star-spangled 4th of July dessert? Whether you use food coloring, fruit, or candy, try...
35+ Refreshing Summer Drinks
Beat the heat with these cool summer drinks. With refreshing summer cocktails and mocktails as well as creative twi...
Easy and Irresistible Slow Cooker BBQ Recipes
Barbecue recipes aren't just for the grill. Our roundup of slow cooker BBQ recipes include ribs, brisket, pork, and...
Our Best Summer Salads
These fresh summer salad recipes are anything but ordinary. Our irresistible combinations of seasonal vegetables an...
Pasta Salad: 23 Recipes to Try
For your next potluck or picnic, make a delicious and easy pasta salad. With so many varieties—Italian pasta salad,...
Quick & Easy Kabobs
These crowd pleasers are just right for backyard barbecues or weeknight suppers on the deck.
Irresistible Ice Cream Treats
It simply isn't summer until you've frozen a batch of homemade ice cream. Try our coolest ice cream recipes, then m...
Fun Serving Ideas for a 4th of July Picnic
These crafty serving ideas will help you host a fabulous, patriotic picnic or a 4th of July potluck. We've looked t...
Easy 4th of July Party Ideas
Your 4th of July party is bound to be summer's biggest celebration. Gather your friends and use these patriotic dec...