Fourth of July Cherry-Cola Cake
- Makes: 10 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Bake: 350°F according to package directions
- Cool: 1 hr
- 1 package 2-layer size German chocolate cake mix
- Cherry cola
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lime peel
- 1 recipe Celebration Icing
- 10 - 12 dark sweet cherries with stems
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Grease and flour a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside. Prepare cake mix according to package directions except substitute cherry cola for the liquid called for and add ground ginger and lime peel. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake according to package directions. Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove from pan; cool completely on wire rack.
- Use a serrated knife to cut top of cake level. Trim edges of cake. Discard trimmed pieces. Cut cake in half lengthwise into two 13x4-12-inch rectangles. Place one rectangle on a serving platter. Spread with tinted icing. Top with second rectangle. Spread with white icing. Refrigerate cake for 1 hour or until icing is set. Wrap cake in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours before serving. Top each slice with a cherry. Makes 10 to 12 servings.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat butter with electric mixer until smooth. Gradually add 1 cup of the powdered sugar, beating well. Slowly beat in milk and vanilla. Gradually beat in an additional 2 cups powdered sugar. Divide the mixture in half. To half of the recipe beat in cherry spreadable fruit and red food coloring to make a pink icing. Gradually beat in enough powdered sugar for spreading consistency. To remaining half add enough powdered sugar for spreading consistency. Makes 10 to 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Fourth of July Cherry-Cola Cake)
- Per serving:
- 554 kcal ,
- 19 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 81 mg chol. ,
- 457 mg sodium ,
- 96 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 76 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.
July 4th Picnic Recipes
Start your 4th of July picnic by packing a basket full of these light and fresh recipes. With salads, sides, dips,...
5 Ways to Make Red, White, and Blue Desserts
Looking for a showstopping, star-spangled 4th of July dessert? Whether you use food coloring, fruit, or candy, try...
35+ Refreshing Summer Drinks
Beat the heat with these cool summer drink recipes. With both alcoholic and nonalcoholic fruit drinks as well as cr...
Easy and Irresistible Slow Cooker BBQ Recipes
Barbecue recipes aren't just for the grill. Our roundup of slow cooker BBQ recipes include ribs, brisket, pork, and...
Our Best Summer Salads
These fresh summer salad recipes are anything but ordinary. Our irresistible combinations of seasonal vegetables an...
Pasta Salad: 23 Recipes to Try
For your next potluck or picnic, make a delicious and easy pasta salad. With so many varieties—Italian pasta salad,...
Quick & Easy Kabobs
These crowd pleasers are just right for backyard barbecues or weeknight suppers on the deck.
Irresistible Ice Cream Treats
It simply isn't summer until you've frozen a batch of homemade ice cream. Try our coolest ice cream recipes, then m...
Fun Serving Ideas for a 4th of July Picnic
These crafty serving ideas will help you host a fabulous, patriotic picnic or a 4th of July potluck. We've looked t...
Easy 4th of July Party Ideas
Your 4th of July party is bound to be summer's biggest celebration. Gather your friends and use these patriotic dec...