Skillet White Beans
- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Cook: 25 mins
- 1 large sweet onion, such as Vidalia or Maui, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or maple-flavor syrup
- 1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 15 1/2 ounce cans navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 15 1/2 ounce cans butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
- Sour cream or creme fraiche
- Yellow, red, and/or green tomatoes, chopped (optional)
- Fresh sage leaves (optional)
- In a 12-inch skillet cook onion in hot butter over medium heat about 15 minutes or until very tender and browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in maple syrup, vinegar, brown sugar, 2 tablespoons sage, tomato paste, salt, and pepper. Add beans; stir to coat.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a serving bowl. Top with sour cream. If desired, top with tomatoes and sage leaves.
Nutrition Facts (Skillet White Beans)
- Per serving:
- 246 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 21 mg chol. ,
- 570 mg sodium ,
- 43 g carb. ,
- 9 g fiber ,
- 15 g sugar ,
- 10 g pro.
July 4th Picnic Recipes
Start your 4th of July picnic by packing a basket full of these light and fresh recipes. With salads, sides, dips,...
5 Ways to Make Red, White, and Blue Desserts
Looking for a showstopping, star-spangled 4th of July dessert? Whether you use food coloring, fruit, or candy, try...
35+ Refreshing Summer Drinks
Beat the heat with these cool summer drinks. With refreshing summer cocktails and mocktails as well as creative twi...
Easy and Irresistible Slow Cooker BBQ Recipes
Barbecue recipes aren't just for the grill. Our roundup of slow cooker BBQ recipes include ribs, brisket, pork, and...
Our Best Summer Salads
These fresh summer salad recipes are anything but ordinary. Our irresistible combinations of seasonal vegetables an...
Pasta Salad: 23 Recipes to Try
For your next potluck or picnic, make a delicious and easy pasta salad. With so many varieties—Italian pasta salad,...
Quick & Easy Kabobs
These crowd pleasers are just right for backyard barbecues or weeknight suppers on the deck.
Irresistible Ice Cream Treats
It simply isn't summer until you've frozen a batch of homemade ice cream. Try our coolest ice cream recipes, then m...
Fun Serving Ideas for a 4th of July Picnic
These crafty serving ideas will help you host a fabulous, patriotic picnic or a 4th of July potluck. We've looked t...
Easy 4th of July Party Ideas
Your 4th of July party is bound to be summer's biggest celebration. Gather your friends and use these patriotic dec...