Creamy BLT Coleslaw
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 5 mins
- Chill: 2 hrs to 24 hrs
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 5 cups shredded green and/or red cabbage or packaged shredded broccoli (broccoli slaw)*
- 1 cup shredded carrots (2 medium)*
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
- 1/2 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Ground black pepper
- In a large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Crumble bacon; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the reserved drippings, mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, and celery seeds. Add cabbage, carrots, sunflower kernels, tomatoes, and green onions; toss gently to coat. Stir in crumbled bacon. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer coleslaw to a bowl or storage container; cover and chill for at least 2 hours up to overnight.
- Serve within 2 hours after removing coleslaw from refrigerator; discard any leftovers.
From the Test Kitchen
If desired, substitute 5 cups packaged shredded cabbage with carrot (coleslaw mix) for the cabbage or shredded broccoli and the carrots.
Nutrition Facts (Creamy BLT Coleslaw)
- Per serving:
- 412 kcal ,
- 39 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 21 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 21 mg chol. ,
- 451 mg sodium ,
- 11 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.
July 4th Picnic Recipes
Start your 4th of July picnic by packing a basket full of these light and fresh recipes. With salads, sides, dips,...
5 Ways to Make Red, White, and Blue Desserts
Looking for a showstopping, star-spangled 4th of July dessert? Whether you use food coloring, fruit, or candy, try...
35+ Refreshing Summer Drinks
Beat the heat with these cool summer drink recipes. With both alcoholic and nonalcoholic fruit drinks as well as cr...
Easy and Irresistible Slow Cooker BBQ Recipes
Barbecue recipes aren't just for the grill. Our roundup of slow cooker BBQ recipes include ribs, brisket, pork, and...
Our Best Summer Salads
These fresh summer salad recipes are anything but ordinary. Our irresistible combinations of seasonal vegetables an...
Pasta Salad: 23 Recipes to Try
For your next potluck or picnic, make a delicious and easy pasta salad. With so many varieties—Italian pasta salad,...
Quick & Easy Kabobs
These crowd pleasers are just right for backyard barbecues or weeknight suppers on the deck.
Irresistible Ice Cream Treats
It simply isn't summer until you've frozen a batch of homemade ice cream. Try our coolest ice cream recipes, then m...
Fun Serving Ideas for a 4th of July Picnic
These crafty serving ideas will help you host a fabulous, patriotic picnic or a 4th of July potluck. We've looked t...
Easy 4th of July Party Ideas
Your 4th of July party is bound to be summer's biggest celebration. Gather your friends and use these patriotic dec...