Bean and Beef Enchilada Casserole
- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 35 mins
- Bake: 40 mins 350°F
- 12 ounces lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 15 ounce cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 4 ounce cans diced green chile peppers
- 1 1/2 cups dairy sour cream
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 12 6 inches corn tortillas
- 2 10 ounce cans enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- Lightly grease a 3-quart rectangular baking dish; set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large skillet cook the ground beef and onion until meat is cooked through, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks; drain off fat. Stir chili powder and cumin into meat mixture; cook and stir for 1 minute more. Stir pinto beans and chile peppers into meat mixture; set aside. In a small bowl stir together sour cream, flour, and garlic powder; set aside.
- Place half of the tortillas in the prepared dish, cutting to fit and overlapping as necessary. Top with half of the meat mixture, half of the sour cream mixture, and half of the enchilada sauce. Repeat layers. Cover with foil.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until heated through. Uncover and sprinkle with cheese. Bake about 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed through Step 2. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for up to 24 hours. Remove plastic wrap. Cover dish with foil. Bake for 45 minutes or until heated through. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts (Bean and Beef Enchilada Casserole)
- Per serving:
- 304 kcal ,
- 14 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 38 mg chol. ,
- 682 mg sodium ,
- 32 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 15 g pro.
Casserole Recipes Under $3
Looking for a great way to stretch your dinner dollar? Whip up one of these scrumptious, crowd-pleasing casseroles...
Quick and Easy Casseroles
Looking for a quick casserole recipe that's sure to impress? We have you covered with our hot (and cheesy!) lineup,...
Ethnic-Inspired Casserole Recipes
For a fuss-free dish with a fresh twist, try one of our simple make-ahead casseroles for dinner tonight.
Toss-Together Side Dish Casseroles
These hearty and delicious side-dish casseroles are so convenient—and they pair well with your favorite entrees. Ch...
Macaroni and Cheese Recipes
Go ahead. Admit it. You love macaroni and cheese. We do too! So we put together our cheesiest, most ooey-gooey maca...
One-Dish Beef Recipes
Sometimes one dish is all a winning recipe takes. Ideal for busy weeknights, these fuss-free beef dinners will quic...
One-Dish Chicken Dinners
Take the hassle out of dinner tonight with these quick and easy one-dish chicken recipes, including faves like chic...
Warm and Delicious Bread Pudding Recipes
Give bread pudding a try with these fun sweet and savory variations, including chocolate, cheese, and even bourbon...