Deep-Dish Chicken Pot Pie
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 50 mins
- Bake: 30 mins 400°F
- Stand: 20 mins
- 1 Pastry Topper
- 1 cup chopped leek (3 medium) or onion (1 large)
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup sliced celery (1-1/2 stalks)
- 1/2 cup chopped red sweet pepper (1 small)
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half, light cream, or milk
- 2 1/2 cups chopped, cooked chicken
- 1 cup loose-pack frozen peas or frozen peas and carrots
- 1 egg, beaten
- Prepare Pastry Topper; set aside.
- In a large saucepan cook leek, mushrooms, celery, and sweet pepper in hot butter over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the flour, poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper. Add broth and half-and-half all at once. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in chicken and peas. Pour into a 2-quart rectangular baking dish.
- Place pastry over chicken mixture in dish. Turn edges of pastry under; flute to edges of dish. Brush pastry with some of the egg. If desired, place cut-out pastry shapes on top of pastry. Brush again with egg.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 400 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let stand for 20 minutes before serving. Makes 6 servings.
- In a medium bowl stir together 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in 1/3 cup shortening until dough pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Sprinkle an additional 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water over remaining flour mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with a fork until all dough is moistened. Form into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 13x9-inch rectangle. Using a sharp knife, cut slits in pastry to allow steam to escape, or, if desired, use a small cookie cutter to cut shapes from pastry.
Nutrition Facts (Deep-Dish Chicken Pot Pie)
- Per serving:
- 471 kcal ,
- 26 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat ,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 10 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 113 mg chol. ,
- 543 mg sodium ,
- 33 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 26 g pro.
Casserole Recipes Under $3
Looking for a great way to stretch your dinner dollar? Whip up one of these scrumptious, crowd-pleasing casseroles...
Quick and Easy Casseroles
Looking for a quick casserole recipe that's sure to impress? We have you covered with our hot (and cheesy!) lineup,...
Ethnic-Inspired Casserole Recipes
For a fuss-free dish with a fresh twist, try one of our simple make-ahead casseroles for dinner tonight.
Toss-Together Side Dish Casseroles
These hearty and delicious side-dish casseroles are so convenient—and they pair well with your favorite entrees. Ch...
Macaroni and Cheese Recipes
Go ahead. Admit it. You love macaroni and cheese. We do too! So we put together our cheesiest, most ooey-gooey maca...
One-Dish Beef Recipes
Sometimes one dish is all a winning recipe takes. Ideal for busy weeknights, these fuss-free beef dinners will quic...
One-Dish Chicken Dinners
Take the hassle out of dinner tonight with these quick and easy one-dish chicken recipes, including faves like chic...
Warm and Delicious Bread Pudding Recipes
Give bread pudding a try with these fun sweet and savory variations, including chocolate, cheese, and even bourbon...