Chicken Enchilada Pasta
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 40 mins
- Bake: 35 mins 350°F
- Cook: 10 mins
- 1 12 ounce package dried jumbo shell macaroni
- 3 3/4 cups chopped large green and/or red sweet peppers (3 large)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red onions (3 medium)
- 1 fresh jalapeno chile pepper, seeded and chopped*
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 16 ounce can refried beans
- 1/2 1 1/4 ounce package taco seasoning mix (3 tablespoons)
- 2 10 ounce can enchilada sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded Mexican-style four-cheese blend (8 ounces)
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 2 cups nacho-flavor tortilla chips, crushed
- Sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Rinse with cold water; drain again.
- In large skillet cook sweet peppers, red onions, and jalapeno pepper in hot oil over medium heat about 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in chicken, beans, taco seasoning mix, 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce, and the salt. Cook and stir for 5 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese and 1/2 cup of the green onions.
- Spread 1 cup of the remaining enchilada sauce in a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Spoon chicken mixture into cooked shells. Arrange filled shells in the baking dish. Drizzle with remaining enchilada sauce.
- Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, about 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with chips and remaining green onions. Serve with sour cream.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Chicken Enchilada Pasta)
- Per serving:
- 520 kcal ,
- 20 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 56 mg chol. ,
- 1338 mg sodium ,
- 60 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 27 g pro.
Casserole Recipes Under $3
Looking for a great way to stretch your dinner dollar? Whip up one of these scrumptious, crowd-pleasing casseroles...
Quick and Easy Casseroles
Looking for a quick casserole recipe that's sure to impress? We have you covered with our hot (and cheesy!) lineup,...
Ethnic-Inspired Casserole Recipes
For a fuss-free dish with a fresh twist, try one of our simple make-ahead casseroles for dinner tonight.
Toss-Together Side Dish Casseroles
These hearty and delicious side-dish casseroles are so convenient—and they pair well with your favorite entrees. Ch...
Macaroni and Cheese Recipes
Go ahead. Admit it. You love macaroni and cheese. We do too! So we put together our cheesiest, most ooey-gooey maca...
One-Dish Beef Recipes
Sometimes one dish is all a winning recipe takes. Ideal for busy weeknights, these fuss-free beef dinners will quic...
One-Dish Chicken Dinners
Take the hassle out of dinner tonight with these quick and easy one-dish chicken recipes, including faves like chic...
Warm and Delicious Bread Pudding Recipes
Give bread pudding a try with these fun sweet and savory variations, including chocolate, cheese, and even bourbon...