Chiles Rellenos Casserole
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Bake: 15 mins 450°F
- Cook: 3 mins
- 2 large fresh poblano chile peppers or fresh Anaheim chile peppers (8 ounces)
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno chile peppers, shredded, or shredded Mexican-style four-cheese blend (1-1/2 cups)
- 2 ounces crumbled Cotija cheese (1/2 cup)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Grease a 2-quart square baking dish; set aside. Quarter the chile peppers and remove seeds, stems, and veins.* Immerse peppers in boiling water for 3 minutes; drain. Invert peppers onto paper towels to drain well. Place the peppers, cut side up, in prepared baking dish. Top with cheeses.
- In a medium bowl combine eggs and milk. Add flour, baking powder, cayenne pepper, and salt. Beat with a rotary beater until smooth (or place in a food processor or blender; cover and process or blend until smooth). Pour egg mixture over chile peppers and cheeses.
- Bake, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until a knife inserted into the egg mixture comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Chiles Rellenos Casserole)
- Per serving:
- 285 kcal ,
- 18 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 202 mg chol. ,
- 355 mg sodium ,
- 15 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 1 g sugar ,
- 19 g pro.
Casserole Recipes Under $3
Looking for a great way to stretch your dinner dollar? Whip up one of these scrumptious, crowd-pleasing casseroles...
Quick and Easy Casseroles
Looking for a quick casserole recipe that's sure to impress? We have you covered with our hot (and cheesy!) lineup,...
Ethnic-Inspired Casserole Recipes
For a fuss-free dish with a fresh twist, try one of our simple make-ahead casseroles for dinner tonight.
Toss-Together Side Dish Casseroles
These hearty and delicious side-dish casseroles are so convenient—and they pair well with your favorite entrees. Ch...
Macaroni and Cheese Recipes
Go ahead. Admit it. You love macaroni and cheese. We do too! So we put together our cheesiest, most ooey-gooey maca...
One-Dish Beef Recipes
Sometimes one dish is all a winning recipe takes. Ideal for busy weeknights, these fuss-free beef dinners will quic...
One-Dish Chicken Dinners
Take the hassle out of dinner tonight with these quick and easy one-dish chicken recipes, including faves like chic...
Warm and Delicious Bread Pudding Recipes
Give bread pudding a try with these fun sweet and savory variations, including chocolate, cheese, and even bourbon...