Dilled Onion Cheese Ball
- Makes: 30 servings
- Prep: 35 mins
- Chill: 4 hrs
- Stand: 15 mins
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese
- 1 cup finely shredded Gouda cheese (4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce for chicken
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion (1)
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dried dillweed
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted almonds
- Assorted crackers and/or flatbread
- In a large bowl let cream cheese, Gouda, and butter stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add milk and Worcestershire sauce. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Stir in green onion and dill. Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours.
- Before serving, shape cheese mixture into a ball. Roll ball in nuts and let stand 15 minutes. Serve with crackers or flatbread. Makes about 30 (1-tablespoon) servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as above in Step 1. Shape cheese mixture into a ball; wrap in plastic wrap. Freeze for up to 1 month. To serve, thaw the cheese ball in the refrigerator overnight. Unwrap and roll in nuts. Let the cheese ball stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.
Prosciutto-Basil Cheese Ball:
Prepare as above, except substitute finely shredded fontina cheese for the Gouda cheese; stir in 2 ounces chopped prosciutto and 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil with the green onion and omit the dill. Substitute chopped toasted pine nuts for the almonds. If desired, serve with apples, crackers, or flatbread.
Spicy Taco Cheese Ball:
Prepare as above in Step 1, except substitute finely shredded taco cheese for the Gouda cheese, stir in 2 tablespoons bottled chopped jalapeno chile peppers with the green onion, and omit the dill. Substitute 1/2 cup crushed corn chips for the almonds.
To make logs:
Divide recipe into 4 portions and shape accordingly.
Nutrition Facts (Dilled Onion Cheese Ball)
- Per serving:
- 63 kcal ,
- 6 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 16 mg chol. ,
- 62 mg sodium ,
- 1 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 2 g pro.
Easy Halloween Mantel Ideas
Add Halloween spirit to your living room with fall mantel decor, including homemade decorations and festive pumpkin...
Wickedly Fun Halloween Cupcakes
Whip up a cupcake creation that's sure to dazzle your Halloween party guests by decorating store-bought or homemade...
Long-Lasting Halloween Decorations
Looking for sleek fall decorating ideas that last all the way through Halloween? You've come to the right spot. Our...
Halloween Party Appetizers
Your Halloween appetizer spread should be as creative as your costumes. Bite into these creative sweet and savory H...
Halloween Door Decorations: Great Wreaths and Entry Accents
These Halloween door decorations will welcome trick-or-treaters and party guests this October. Our ideas for Hallow...
Halloween Cookies: Easy Ways to Decorate
Craving Halloween cookies? All you need is icing, candy, and a little bit of ghoulish creativity. We'll show you ho...
Fun Ways to Disguise Halloween Candy & Party Favors
Dress up everyday packaged candy in silly disguises for trick-or-treat night or to use as Halloween party favors. O...
Halloween Drink & Punch Recipes
Mix up a few Halloween cocktails so no goblin or ghoul goes thirsty at your party. Including Halloween mixed drinks...