- Makes: 24 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Bake: 13 mins 425°F
- 24 large fresh mushrooms, 1-1/2 to 2 inches in diameter
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion (2)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or smoked Gouda cheese or crumbled blue cheese (2 ounces)
- 2 strips crisp cooked bacon, crumbled (1/4 cup)
- Clean mushrooms. Remove stems from mushrooms. Set stems aside. Place mushroom caps, stem sides down, in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Lightly coat the rounded side of each mushroom cap with cooking spray. Bake for 5 minutes. Carefully place mushroom caps, stem sides down, on a double thickness of paper towels to drain while preparing filling.
- Chop enough of the reserved stems to make 1 cup. In a medium saucepan cook the chopped stems, green onion, and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in bread crumbs, cheese, and bacon. Spoon crumb mixture into mushroom caps. Return stuffed mushrooms to the baking pan. Bake in a 425 degree F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until heated through. Makes 24 mushrooms.
From the Test Kitchen
Greek-Style Stuffed Mushrooms:
Prepare as above, except use 1/2 cup of the chopped mushroom stems. Omit butter, shredded cheese, and bacon. Cook mushroom stems, green onion, and garlic in 1/4 cup olive oil. Stir in bread crumbs, 1/2 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives, 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, and 1 teaspoon Greek seasoning, crushed. Bake as directed.
Prepare as above, except omit butter, shredded cheese, and bacon. Cook mushroom stems, green onion, and garlic in 1/4 cup olive oil. Stir in bread crumbs, 1/3 cup chopped prosciutto, 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan or Asiago cheese, and 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed. Bake as directed.
Prepare as above, except discard mushroom stems. Omit green onion, garlic, butter, bread crumbs, cheese, and bacon. In a small bowl combine 1/2 cup purchased pesto, 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, and 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts. Spoon mixture into mushroom caps. Bake as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Stuffed Mushrooms)
- Per serving:
- 45 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 8 mg chol. ,
- 101 mg sodium ,
- 2 g carb. ,
- 1 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.
Fun and Easy Christmas Party Ideas
Get ready for the holiday season with these easy Christmas party ideas. You'll love these tips for fun parties, suc...
Holiday Buffet Serving Tips and Display Ideas
Learn how to arrange food into a beautiful display at your holiday party, plus get great serving and storage tips,...
Festive and Fun Holiday Drinks
Get the party started with a fabulous holiday cocktail or other party-worthy drink recipe. Apple cider cocktail, pe...
25-Minute (or Less) Holiday Appetizers
If your holiday appetizers are often an afterthought, start here for quick and easy bite-size delights that take le...
How to Pair Wine & Cheese
Be confident in pairing cheese with wine for a dinner party, wine tasting, or intimate evening for two. This guide...
Pretty Christmas Living Rooms
Don't stop at the Christmas tree—extend your Christmas decorations through the whole living room. These Christmas d...
Planning a Holiday Potluck
Gather your friends and family to share your favorite dishes.
Appetizer and Beverage Quantity Charts: How Much Do I Need?
How many guests will your appetizers serve? How much alcohol should you buy? Whether you're serving appetizers and...