- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 25 mins
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- dash black pepper
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh basil
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (1 to 1-1/4 pounds)
- 1/3 cup seasoned fine dry bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or cooking oil
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (1 ounce)
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- For sauce, in a medium saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot butter until onion is tender. Carefully stir in the undrained tomatoes, sugar, salt, and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or to desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Stir in basil. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, with a meat mallet, pound each chicken breast half between two pieces of plastic wrap to 1/4-inch thickness.
- In a shallow dish stir together bread crumbs, the 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, and oregano. In another bowl stir together the egg and milk. Dip chicken breast halves in egg mixture, then in crumb mixture to coat. In a 12-inch skillet cook chicken in hot oil over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden. Transfer chicken to a serving platter.
- Spoon sauce over chicken. Top with shredded mozzarella and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Let stand about 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as above, except substitute 1 pound boneless veal sirloin steak or boneless veal leg round steak, cut 1/2-inch thick for the chicken breast halves. Cut meat into 4, serving-size pieces and pound to 1/4-inch thickness as above.
Creamy Tomato Chicken Parmigiana:
Prepare as above, except after simmering the sauce for 10 minutes or to desired consistency, slowly add 3 tablespoons whipping cream, half-and-half, or light cream, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 3 minutes more and then stir in the basil.
Nutrition Facts per 3 ounces chicken + 1/3 cup sauce: 418 cal., 24 g total fat (9 g sat. fat), 152 mg chol., 715 mg sodium, 15 g carbo., 1 g fiber, 34 g pro.
Daily Values: 11% vit. A, 24 % vit. C, 19% calcium, 11% iron.
Exchanges: 1 Vegetable, 1/2 Other Carbohydrate, 4 1/2 Very Lean Meat, 4 Fat
Nutrition Facts (Chicken Parmigiana)
- Per serving:
- 379 kcal ,
- 20 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 10 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 137 mg chol. ,
- 711 mg sodium ,
- 15 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 34 g pro.
How to Cook Skinless, Boneless Chicken Breasts
With skinless, boneless chicken breasts on hand, you'll always have something quick and satisfying to eat for dinne...
One-Dish Chicken Dinners
Take the hassle out of dinner tonight with these quick and easy one-dish chicken recipes, including faves like chic...
Quick and Easy Chicken Recipes
Tight on time? No problem. Whip up one of these simple yet satisfying chicken recipes for dinner tonight. With fres...
30-Minute Healthy Chicken Recipes
For a healthy dinner that's easy, too, try one of our healthy chicken recipes. Ready in under 30 minutes and ringin...
Our Best Grilled Chicken Recipes
Impress your cookout crowd with our grilled chicken recipes, including juicy chicken burger recipes, zesty barbecue...
All-Time Favorite Chicken Recipes
For a dinner that's sure to bring everyone to the table, try one of our top chicken recipes. These Better Homes and...
Chicken Casseroles to Please a Crowd
Make a warm and bubbly chicken casserole for your next family gathering. Our chicken casserole recipes feature a ra...
Our Best Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
Try one of our slow cooker chicken recipes for dinner tonight. Each recipe features bold flavor and delicious chick...