Almond-Cherry Pastry Braids
- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cool: 15 mins
- Bake: 30 mins 375°F per batch
- 1 17.3 ounce package (2 sheets) frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 1 8 ounce can almond paste
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup cherry or raspberry preserves
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, chopped
- Coarse sugar or granulated sugar
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Unfold pastry sheets; place one sheet of pastry on each prepared baking sheet.
- For almond filling, in a medium bowl, combine almond paste, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, and egg white. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until nearly smooth. Divide in half.
- For each braid, spread half of the almond filling in a 3-inch strip down the center of each pastry sheet, leaving 1/2 inch unfilled along each end. Spread half of the preserves over filling. On both long sides, use kitchen scissors or a sharp knife to make 3-inch cuts from edge toward filling, spacing the cuts 1 inch apart. Starting at one end, alternately fold opposite strips of pastry at an angle across the filling, overlapping ends of strips in middle. Press down gently to seal.
- In a small bowl, combine egg yolk and the water; brush over braids. Sprinkle with almonds and coarse sugar. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and let stand for 20 minutes. Remove and discard plastic wrap.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake, one braid at a time, in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until top and bottom are golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Cut into slices; serve warm.
Nutrition Facts (Almond-Cherry Pastry Braids)
- Per serving:
- 344 kcal ,
- 20 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 18 mg chol. ,
- 165 mg sodium ,
- 38 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 18 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.
Cinnamon Roll Recipes You'll Love
With their pretty swirls, lush icing, and spicy-sweet aromas, homemade cinnamon rolls are practically irresistible!...
Healthy Breakfast Recipes
Jump-start your day and your metabolism with one of our healthy breakfast recipes. A protein-loaded breakfast will...
35 Irresistible Easter Brunch Recipes
Kick-start the spring holiday with one of these scrumptious Easter recipe ideas. Whether you crave sweet stacks of...
20+ Delightful Christmas Brunch Recipes
Here's our holiday gift to you: Two dozen Christmas brunch ideas, including make-ahead breakfast casseroles, breakf...
Our Best Banana Bread Recipes
We've made banana bread even more irresistible by adding fruits, nuts, chocolate -- even peanut butter. Check out o...
Seriously Scrumptious Brunch Breads
Bust out the mimosas -- it's brunch time! Including ooey-gooey rolls, best-ever banana bread, bread puddings, and f...
Egg Recipes for Breakfast
When it comes to the best breakfast recipes, there's just no competing with the ever-popular egg. Protein-rich egg...
Make this breakfast favorite even better with our creative pancake recipes. Each pancake comes with creative toppin...