Vintage linens take on a modern, festive look when overdyed in saturated colors.
To achieve these rich, super-saturated colors, use fiber-reactive procion dye on plant-based fabrics such as cotton, linen, rayon, etc. We found a huge selection of colors, plus helpful hints and instructions at Dharma Trading Co. (dharmatrading.com).
• Prewash the fabric.
• Create a paste with the powdered dye and a small amount of warm water, then add more warm water. When the dye is dissolved, add to a tub of water and stir in completely. The amount of water and dye you need depends on the amount of fabric, the chosen color family, and how deep you want the final color to be.
• Add the called-for amount of noniodized salt to the dye tub and mix. (Some instructions call for adding optional calsolene oil. We did not use calsolene oil for the linens shown.)
• Add the fabric (either wet or dry), and stir frequently for 20 minutes.
• Dissolve the called-for amount of soda ash in warm water and very slowly add to the dye bath while stirring, avoiding pouring it directly on the fabric. Stir frequently for the recommended time (about 30 minutes for lighter colors and one hour for darker colors).
• Rinse the fabric with cool water until the water runs almost clear. Finally, machine-wash on high-heat setting with detergent to remove the rest of the dye. (You may have to repeat this last step with some darker colors.)
Don't Let Summer Pass Without Grilling These Burger Recipes
Take backyard burgers from monotonous to memorable with these next-level burger recipes. When you've had your fill...
Our Best Grilled Chicken Recipes
Impress your cookout crowd with our grilled chicken recipes, including juicy chicken burger recipes, zesty barbecue...
Our Best Grilled Shrimp
You already know that grilling shrimp is one of the easiest ways to get a fresh, stylish meal on the table quickly....
Our Best Grilled Vegetables
We're big fans of grilled vegetables. You can dish them up in a hurry on busy weeknights or serve a crowd at your n...
Irresistible Grilled Desserts
Why stop at burgers? You can create delicious grilled dessert recipes without ever leaving the patio. With berry-to...
Easy and Irresistible Slow Cooker BBQ Recipes
Barbecue recipes aren't just for the grill. Our roundup of slow cooker BBQ recipes include ribs, brisket, pork, and...
Fast and Fabulous BBQ Sides
A summer grill-out is nothing without some classic barbecue sides. These BBQ side dish recipes -- including creamy...
Add excitement to summer barbecues with these hot-off-the-grill, party-ready appetizers. Whether you want spicy shr...
Ooey-gooey s'mores aren't just for the campfire anymore. Try the sticky-sweet summer favorite any time of the year...