Grilled Asparagus Soup with Chile Croutons
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Grill: 4 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons Asian chili sauce, such as Sriracha
- 1 small baguette, sliced diagonally
- 2 pounds green, white, and/or purple asparagus, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 14 1/2 ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Olive oil (optional)
- Freshly grated nutmeg and lemon juice (optional)
- Preheat grill or grill pan to medium heat. For chili butter, in a large bowl stir together melted butter and chili sauce. Brush one side of each baguette slice with some of the chili-butter. Grill bread for 2 minutes, until toasted and crisp, turning once. Set aside.
- Add asparagus to remaining chili-butter; toss to coat (butter may firm up). Grill spears on grill pan over medium heat or grill rack over direct medium heat, covered, about 2 minutes, turning once. Remove from pan or grill. Set aside one-fourth of the spears to stir into finished soup. Slice remaining spears in 1/2-inch rounds; set aside.
- For soup, in a large saucepan melt the 2 Tbsp. butter over medium heat. Cook onion in hot butter for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened. Add salt. Sprinkle flour on onions; cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the coriander. Slowly whisk in chicken broth. Add 1/2-inch asparagus rounds. Bring soup to simmering. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, until thickened, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
- Transfer cooled soup to a blender or food processor, in batches if necessary. Puree soup until smooth. Return pureed soup to saucepan. Stir in milk and heat through. Cut the reserved asparagus spears in 2-inch lengths. Add to soup along with lemon juice. Drizzle with a little olive oil. Serve with freshly grated nutmeg, additional lemon juice, and chili croutons.
From the Test Kitchen
If you prefer asparagus more tender, grill it 2 minutes longer. The soup will be a bit darker than shown in the photo.
No time to grill? Quickly blanch the spears (see QUICK BLANCHING below) and toast baguette slices under the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes each side.
To serve asparagus quickly, place spears in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Cover with about 2 cups of boiling salted water. Let stand for 10 to 12 minutes, until bright green and crisp-tender. Drain, then serve warm.
Nutrition Facts (Grilled Asparagus Soup with Chile Croutons)
- Per serving:
- 310 kcal ,
- 13 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 33 mg chol. ,
- 1029 mg sodium ,
- 38 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 11 g pro.
Delicious Asparagus Recipes
Whether grilled, roasted, or baked, asparagus adds flavor and nutrients to any meal. Here are our favorite asparagu...
In-Season Spring Dinners
Along with pastel flowers and warmer weather, spring brings a bounty of fresh produce to your kitchen table. From a...
Farmers Market Recipes
All around the country, farmers bring their abundance to town, allowing us to feast through all four seasons (if yo...
Healthy Vegetable Recipes
Need more vegetables in your diet? These delicious and creative vegetable recipes will help you get the recommended...
How to Roast Vegetables
Roasted vegetables are as easy to make as they are delicious to eat. Oven-roasting vegetables brings out their natu...
7-Ingredient (or Less) Dinners You'll Wish You Discovered Before Today
Seven ingredients (not counting salt, pepper, or oil) are all you need for a wholesome dinner that comes together i...
Healthy Dinner Recipes for Spring
Shake off the winter chill with healthy spring recipes including silky carrot soup and avocado-slathered sandwiches...
Fresh Spring Slow Cooker Recipes
Get out and enjoy spring weather while dinner cooks itself! How? Use our slow cooker recipes. We've compiled some o...