Creamy Potato and Asparagus Soup
- Makes: 4 servings
- Start to Finish: 30 mins
- 1 1/4 pounds fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1 1/4 pounds potatoes, peeled and chopped (1/2-inch pieces or smaller)
- 1 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Toppings such as finely shredded lemon peel, fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley, coarse salt, and/or freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- Reserve about one-third of the asparagus. Combine remaining asparagus, the potatoes, evaporated milk, salt, pepper, and the water in a saucepan. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Cool slightly. In a blender or food processor, blend or process soup, half at a time, until smooth.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet cook bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels; set aside. Reserve 1 tablespoon bacon drippings in skillet. Add reserved asparagus spears to the drippings in skillet. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
- Coarsely chop bacon and place in a microwave-safe pie plate. Drizzle bacon with honey; cover with vented plastic wrap. Just before serving, microcook on 100 percent power (high) for 30 seconds.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and top with asparagus, bacon mixture, and, if desired, toppings.
Nutrition Facts (Creamy Potato and Asparagus Soup)
- Per serving:
- 356 kcal ,
- 15 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 41 mg chol. ,
- 673 mg sodium ,
- 43 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 17 g sugar ,
- 15 g pro.
Delicious Asparagus Recipes
Whether grilled, roasted, or baked, asparagus adds flavor and nutrients to any meal. Here are our favorite asparagu...
In-Season Spring Dinners
Along with pastel flowers and warmer weather, spring brings a bounty of fresh produce to your kitchen table. From a...
Farmers Market Recipes
All around the country, farmers bring their abundance to town, allowing us to feast through all four seasons (if yo...
Healthy Vegetable Recipes
Need more vegetables in your diet? These delicious and creative vegetable recipes will help you get the recommended...
How to Roast Vegetables
Roasted vegetables are as easy to make as they are delicious to eat. Oven-roasting vegetables brings out their natu...
7-Ingredient (or Less) Dinners You'll Wish You Discovered Before Today
Seven ingredients (not counting salt, pepper, or oil) are all you need for a wholesome dinner that comes together i...
Healthy Dinner Recipes for Spring
Shake off the winter chill with healthy spring recipes including silky carrot soup and avocado-slathered sandwiches...
Fresh Spring Slow Cooker Recipes
Get out and enjoy spring weather while dinner cooks itself! How? Use our slow cooker recipes. We've compiled some o...