Flash-Braised Vegetable Medley
- Makes: 6 servings
- Start to Finish: 25 mins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 pounds young spring carrots, trimmed and scrubbed, or large carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, quartered or halved if large, and/or other mushrooms, such as oyster or morel*
- 6 ounces pearl or whole boiling onions, peeled
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2- to 3-inch pieces
- Lemon wedges
- In an extra-large skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add carrots and mushrooms; cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add onions and garlic; cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Increase heat to medium-high. Carefully add wine; cook for 1 minute or until wine has almost evaporated. Add chicken broth, 1 tablespoon of the marjoram, the salt, and pepper; reduce heat to medium. Cover; cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are fork-tender. Remove from heat. Add asparagus; cover. Let stand for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining marjoram. Serve with lemon wedges.
From the Test Kitchen
*If using morel mushrooms, place mushrooms in a pan or bowl. Cover with water; add a dash of salt. Soak mushrooms for 10 to 15 minutes. Drain, rinse, and repeat two more times. Pat mushrooms dry. Trim ends of stems, if necessary.
Nutrition Facts (Flash-Braised Vegetable Medley)
- Per serving:
- 132 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 11 mg chol. ,
- 425 mg sodium ,
- 19 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 9 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.
Delicious Asparagus Recipes
Whether grilled, roasted, or baked, asparagus adds flavor and nutrients to any meal. Here are our favorite asparagu...
In-Season Spring Dinners
Along with pastel flowers and warmer weather, spring brings a bounty of fresh produce to your kitchen table. From a...
Farmers Market Recipes
All around the country, farmers bring their abundance to town, allowing us to feast through all four seasons (if yo...
Healthy Vegetable Recipes
Need more vegetables in your diet? These delicious and creative vegetable recipes will help you get the recommended...
How to Roast Vegetables
Roasted vegetables are as easy to make as they are delicious to eat. Oven-roasting vegetables brings out their natu...
7-Ingredient (or Less) Dinners You'll Wish You Discovered Before Today
Seven ingredients (not counting salt, pepper, or oil) are all you need for a wholesome dinner that comes together i...
Healthy Dinner Recipes for Spring
Shake off the winter chill with healthy spring recipes including silky carrot soup and avocado-slathered sandwiches...
Fresh Spring Slow Cooker Recipes
Get out and enjoy spring weather while dinner cooks itself! How? Use our slow cooker recipes. We've compiled some o...