Ham-Asparagus and Cheese Strata
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Chill: 2 hrs
- Bake: 50 mins to 55 mins 325°F
- 8 ounces asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 5 cups French bread cubes
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere or white cheddar cheese, (8 oz.)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped chives or green onions
- 8 ounces cooked ham, diced
- 10 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boiling. Add asparagus; cook 5 minutes or until bright green.
- In a greased 3-quart baking dish spread half the bread cubes. Top with cheese, onion, chives and half the ham and asparagus. Top with remaining bread.
- In a bowl whisk together four of the eggs and the milk. Evenly pour over layers in dish. Press down bread pieces into the egg milk mixture with the back of a spoon. Top with remaining ham and asparagus. Cover with plastic wrap, then chill for two hours.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 325 degrees F oven 30 minutes. With the back of a wooden spoon, press 6 indentations in top of strata. Pour a whole egg into each indentation. Bake 20 to 25 minutes more or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in center of strata registers 170 degrees F and eggs are set. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Cut into squares to serve. If desired, drizzle lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and cracked black pepper. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed. Cover; refrigerate up to 12 hours. To serve, preheat oven to 325 degrees F, then bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, then press 6 indentations in top of strata. Pour a whole egg into each indentation. Bake 20 to 25 minutes more or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in center of strata registers 170 degrees F and eggs are set. Let stand 15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts (Ham-Asparagus and Cheese Strata)
- Per serving:
- 454 kcal ,
- 26 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 9 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 421 mg chol. ,
- 936 mg sodium ,
- 22 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 34 g pro.
Delicious Asparagus Recipes
Whether grilled, roasted, or baked, asparagus adds flavor and nutrients to any meal. Here are our favorite asparagu...
In-Season Spring Dinners
Along with pastel flowers and warmer weather, spring brings a bounty of fresh produce to your kitchen table. From a...
Farmers Market Recipes
All around the country, farmers bring their abundance to town, allowing us to feast through all four seasons (if yo...
Healthy Vegetable Recipes
Need more vegetables in your diet? These delicious and creative vegetable recipes will help you get the recommended...
How to Roast Vegetables
Roasted vegetables are as easy to make as they are delicious to eat. Oven-roasting vegetables brings out their natu...
7-Ingredient (or Less) Dinners You'll Wish You Discovered Before Today
Seven ingredients (not counting salt, pepper, or oil) are all you need for a wholesome dinner that comes together i...
Healthy Dinner Recipes for Spring
Shake off the winter chill with healthy spring recipes including silky carrot soup and avocado-slathered sandwiches...
Fresh Spring Slow Cooker Recipes
Get out and enjoy spring weather while dinner cooks itself! How? Use our slow cooker recipes. We've compiled some o...