Ham-and Asparagus-Stuffed Chicken
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- 1 cup diced cooked ham, rind removed
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh tarragon or parsley
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon-style or whole-grain mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 2 lb.)
- 8 ounces green, white, and/or purple asparagus, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- For deviled ham, in a food processor combine ham, mayonnaise, onion, tarragon, Worcestershire, vinegar, mustard, cayenne, and a few grinds of black pepper. Cover and process until ham is very finely chopped and almost smooth, scraping processor bowl as needed. Set aside while butterflying chicken breasts (see next step) or cover and refrigerate up to 2 days.
- To butterfly chicken breasts, place each breast half on a flat surface or cutting board. With palm on chicken and fingers away from blade, cut through one side of the chicken breast to within 3/4 inch of the opposite side. Open to lie flat. Pound chicken with flat side of meat mallet to 1/4-inch thickness.
- To stuff chicken breasts, spread 1/4 cup of the deviled ham on half of each chicken piece. Top with 3 to 5 asparagus spears. Fold unstuffed half over stuffing. Tie closed with 100-percent-cotton kitchen string. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a 12-inch skillet heat oil over medium heat. Cook chicken in hot oil for 10 to 12 minutes per side, until browned and no longer pink (170 degrees F).
- If desired, serve chicken with a Mixed Green and Radish Salad.
Nutrition Facts (Ham-and Asparagus-Stuffed Chicken)
- Per serving:
- 399 kcal ,
- 17 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 167 mg chol. ,
- 929 mg sodium ,
- 3 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 1 g sugar ,
- 54 g pro.
Delicious Asparagus Recipes
Whether grilled, roasted, or baked, asparagus adds flavor and nutrients to any meal. Here are our favorite asparagu...
In-Season Spring Dinners
Along with pastel flowers and warmer weather, spring brings a bounty of fresh produce to your kitchen table. From a...
Farmers Market Recipes
All around the country, farmers bring their abundance to town, allowing us to feast through all four seasons (if yo...
Healthy Vegetable Recipes
Need more vegetables in your diet? These delicious and creative vegetable recipes will help you get the recommended...
How to Roast Vegetables
Roasted vegetables are as easy to make as they are delicious to eat. Oven-roasting vegetables brings out their natu...
7-Ingredient (or Less) Dinners You'll Wish You Discovered Before Today
Seven ingredients (not counting salt, pepper, or oil) are all you need for a wholesome dinner that comes together i...
Healthy Dinner Recipes for Spring
Shake off the winter chill with healthy spring recipes, including silky carrot soup and avocado-slathered sandwiche...
Fresh Spring Slow Cooker Recipes
Get out and enjoy spring weather while dinner cooks itself! How? Use our slow cooker recipes. We've compiled some o...