Chicken, Asparagus, and Bacon Skillet
- Makes: 4 servings
- Start to Finish: 45 mins
- 1 pound asparagus spears, trimmed
- 4 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (1-1/2 pounds)
- Ground black pepper
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can chicken broth*
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- Lemon wedges
- In a large saucepan cook asparagus in a small amount of boiling water about 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Immediately plunge asparagus into ice water to stop cooking.
- In an extra-large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon and drain on paper towels, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Cook chicken in the reserved drippings over medium-high heat about 12 minutes or until brown, turning once. Remove chicken from skillet; keep warm.
- Add squash to skillet; cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. In a medium bowl whisk together broth, flour, and lemon peel; add to skillet. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add asparagus and chicken to skillet. Cook about 6 minutes more or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F). Sprinkle with bacon. Serve with lemon wedges.
From the Test Kitchen
If you like, use 1 1/2 cups chicken broth and 1/4 cup dry white wine.
Nutrition Facts (Chicken, Asparagus, and Bacon Skillet)
- Per serving:
- 272 kcal ,
- 11 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 105 mg chol. ,
- 891 mg sodium ,
- 8 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 36 g pro.
Delicious Asparagus Recipes
Whether grilled, roasted, or baked, asparagus adds flavor and nutrients to any meal. Here are our favorite asparagu...
In-Season Spring Dinners
Along with pastel flowers and warmer weather, spring brings a bounty of fresh produce to your kitchen table. From a...
Farmers Market Recipes
All around the country, farmers bring their abundance to town, allowing us to feast through all four seasons (if yo...
Healthy Vegetable Recipes
Need more vegetables in your diet? These delicious and creative vegetable recipes will help you get the recommended...
How to Roast Vegetables
Roasted vegetables are as easy to make as they are delicious to eat. Oven-roasting vegetables brings out their natu...
7-Ingredient (or Less) Dinners You'll Wish You Discovered Before Today
Seven ingredients (not counting salt, pepper, or oil) are all you need for a wholesome dinner that comes together i...
Healthy Dinner Recipes for Spring
Shake off the winter chill with healthy spring recipes, including silky carrot soup and avocado-slathered sandwiche...
Fresh Spring Slow Cooker Recipes
Get out and enjoy spring weather while dinner cooks itself! How? Use our slow cooker recipes. We've compiled some o...